Editor-in-Chief : V.K. Rastogi
|Asian Journal of Physics||Vol 31, No 7 (2022) A1-A12|
An asymmetric optical cryptosystem based on Radon transform for phase image encryption
Ravi Kumar, Sakshi and Kehar Singh
Department of Physics, SRM University-AP, Andhra Pradesh-522 502, India.
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, P. O. Box 653, Beer-Sheva 8410501, Israel
Optics and Photonics Center, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, New Delhi-110 016, India
Dedicated to Prof Maria J Yzuel
In this paper, we propose a fully-phase image encryption and decryption technique in the Radon transform (RT) domain, having multiuser capabilities. The RT of a two-dimensional (2D) digital image gives projections at arbitrarily given angles, providing additional layer of security in the system. Multiple private keys for decryption are obtained using polar decomposition (PD) in the encryption process, enabling the multiuser capability. For encryption, the input amplitude image is first converted to a phase image and modulated using a structured phase mask (SPM) having preset topological charge. Then the modulated complex image is Fresnel propagated to a certain distance at which the real and imaginary parts of the complex wavefront are separated making the scheme asymmetric. The imaginary part is stored as the private key and real part is further subjected to PD and RT to obtain a set of private keys and the final encrypted image. The proposed technique has large key space and is highly sensitive to the encryption parameters. The robustness of the proposed image encryption method is tested against various common attacks such as noise-, occlusion-, and brute force attacks. Numerical simulation results confirm the validity and effectiveness of the proposed cryptosystem. © Anita Publications. All rights reserved.
Keywords: Phase image, Optical image encryption, Radon transform, Polar decomposition, Structured phase mask.
Peer Review Information
Method: Single- anonymous; Screened for Plagiarism? Yes
Buy this Article in Print © Anita Publications. All rights reserve
- Chen W, Javidi B, Chen X, Advances in optical security systems, Adv Opt Photon, 6(2014)120–55.
- Refregier P, Javidi B. Optical image encryption based on input plane and Fourier plane random encoding, Opt Lett, 20(1995)767–769.
- Situ G, Zhang J. Double random-phase encoding in the Fresnel domain, Opt Lett, 29(2004)1584–1586.
- Matoba O, Javidi B, Encrypted optical memory system using three-dimensional keys in the Fresnel domain, Opt Lett, 24(1999)762–764.
- Unnikrishnan G, Joseph J, Singh K. Optical encryption by double-random phase encoding in the fractional Fourier domain, Opt Lett, 25(2000)887–889.
- Li H, Image encryption based on gyrator transform and two-step phase-shifting interferometry, Opt Lasers Eng, 47(2009)45–50.
- Li X, Zhao D, Optical image encryption with simplified fractional Hartley transform, Chin Phys Lett, 25(2008) 2477–2480.
- Peng X, Wei H, Zhang P. Chosen-plaintext attack on lens less double-random phase encoding in the Fresnel domain, Opt Lett, 31(2006)3261–3263.
- Carnicer A, Montes-Usategui M, Arcos S, Juvells I. Vulnerability to chosen-ciphertext attacks of optical encryption schemes based on double random phase keys, Opt Lett, 30(2005)1644–1646.
- Peng X, Zhang P, Wei H, Yu B. Known-plaintext attack on optical encryption based on double random phase keys, Opt Lett, 31(2006)1044–1046.
- Tashima H, Takeda M, Suzuki H, Obi T, Yamaguchi M, Ohyama N. Known plaintext attack on double random phase encoding using fingerprint as key and a method for avoiding the attack, Opt Express, 18(2010)13772–13781.
- Kumar R, Bhaduri B. Optical image encryption using Kronecker product and hybrid phase masks, Opt Laser Technol, 95(2017)51–55.
- Qin W, Peng X, Asymmetric cryptosystem based on phase-truncated Fourier transforms, Opt Lett, 35(2010)118–120.
- Chen W, Chen X, Optical color image encryption based on an asymmetric cryptosystem in the Fresnel domain, Opt Commun, 284(2011)3913–3917.
- Wang X, Zhao D, A special attack on the asymmetric cryptosystem based on phase-truncated Fourier transforms, Opt Commun, 285(2012)1078–1081.
- Chen W, Chen X, Sheppard CJR, Optical image encryption based on diffractive imaging, Opt Lett, 35(2010)3817–3819.
- Clemente P, Durán V, Torres-Company V, Tajahuerce E, and Lancis J, Optical encryption based on computational ghost imaging, Opt Lett, 35(2010)2391–2393.
- Rajput S K, Nishchal N K, Image encryption using polarized light encoding and amplitude and phase truncation in the Fresnel domain, Appl Opt, 52(2013)4343–4352.
- Nishchal N K, Joseph J, Singh K, Fully phase encryption using fractional Fourier transform, Opt Eng, 42(2003)1583–1588.
- Zhang Y, Wang B, Optical image encryption based on interference, Opt Lett, 33(2008)2443–2445.
- Wang Q. Optical image encryption with silhouette removal based on interference and phase blend processing, Opt Commun, 285(2012)4294–4301.
- Niu C H, Wang XL, Lv N G, Zhou Z H, Li X Y. An encryption method with multiple encrypted keys based on interference principle, Opt Express, 18(2010)7827–7834.
- Kumar R, Bhaduri B, Quan C, Asymmetric optical image encryption using Kolmogorov phase screens and equal modulus decomposition, Opt Eng, 56 (2017), Art.ID:113109; doi.org/10.1117/1.OE.56.11.113109.
- Kumar R, Sheridan J T, Bhaduri B, Nonlinear double image encryption using 2D non-separable linear canonical transform and phase retrieval algorithm, Opt Laser Technol, 107(2018)353–360.
- Kumar R, Bhaduri B. Optical image encryption in Fresnel domain using spiral phase transform. J Opt, 19(2017) Art.ID:095701; doi.10.1088/2040-8986/aa7cb1.
- Deng X, Asymmetric optical cryptosystem based on coherent superposition and equal modulus decomposition: comment, Opt Lett, 40(2015)3913–3913.
- Wu J, Liu W, Liu Z, Liu S. Cryptanalysis of an asymmetric optical cryptosystem based on coherent superposition and equal modulus decomposition, Appl Opt, 54(2015)8921–8924.
- Abuturab M R. Asymmetric multiple information cryptosystem based on chaotic spiral phase mask and random spectrum decomposition, Opt Laser Tech, 98(2018)298–308.
- Chen L, He B, Chen X, Gao X, Liu J. Optical image encryption based on multi-beam interference and common vector decomposition, Opt Commun, 361(2016)6–12.
- Abuturab M R. Color information verification system based on singular value decomposition in gyrator transform domains, Opt Lasers Eng, 57(2014)13–19.
- Kumar R, Bhaduri B, Nischal N K. Nonlinear QR code based optical image encryption using spiral phase transform, equal modulus decomposition and singular value decomposition, J Opt, 2018; 20:015701; 10.1088/2040-8986/aa9943.
- Kumar R, Quan C, Asymmetric multi-user optical cryptosystem based on polar decomposition and Shearlet transform, Opt Lasers Eng, 120(2019)118–126.
- Sachin, Kumar R, Singh P, Multiuser optical image authentication platform based on sparse constraint and polar decomposition in Fresnel domain, Phys Scripta, 47(2022); Art.ID:115101; doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.4103716.
- Mosso F, Bolognini N, Pérez D G. Experimental optical encryption system based on a single-lens imaging architecture combined with a phase retrieval algorithm, J Opt, 2015;17:065702; doi.10.1088/2040-8978/17/6/065702.
- Weng D, Zhu N, Wang Y, Xie J, Liu J, Experimental verification of optical image encryption based on interference, Opt Commun, 284(2011)2485–2487.
- Li J, Li J, Shen L, Pan Y, Li R, Optical image encryption and hiding based on a modified Mach-Zehnder interferometer, Opt Express, 22(2014)4849–4860.
- Shen X, Dou S, Lei M, Chen Y, Optical image encryption based on a joint Fresnel transform correlator with double optical wedges, Appl Opt, 55(2016)8513–8522.
- Zea A V, Barrera J F, Torroba R. Experimental optical encryption of grayscale information, Appl Opt, 56(2017) 5883–5889.
- Li X, Zhao M, Xing Y, Zhang H, Li L, Kim S, Zhou X, Wang Q, Designing optical 3D images encryption and reconstruction using monospectral synthetic aperture integral imaging, Opt Express, 26(2018)11084–11099.
- Rajput S K, Matoba O, Optical voice encryption based on digital holography, Opt Lett, 42(2017)4619–4622.
- Barrett H H, Swindell W, Radiological Imaging: The Theory of Image Formation, Detection, and Processing, Vol 2, (Academic Press N.Y),1981.
- Deans S R, The Radon Transform and Some of Its Applications, (Wiley, N.Y), 1983.
- Barrette H H, III The Radon Transform and Its Applications, Progr Opt, 21(1984)217–286.
- Herman G T, Fundamentals of Computerized Tomography: Image Reconstruction from Projections, 2nd edn. (Springer), 2010.
- Feeman T G, The Radon transform, the mathematics of medical imaging; http://www.springer.com/978-0-387-92711-4.
- Kuchment P K, The Radon Transform and Medical Imaging, (SIAM, 2014).
- Ritika A, Xiong Y, Quan C. Optical image encryption using Radon transform, Progr Electromag Res Symp, Fall (PIERS – FALL), 2017:1235-1238. doi.10.1109/PIERS-FALL.2017.8293320.
- Shi D-F, Huang J, Meng W-W, Yin K-X, Sun B-Q, Wang Y-J, Yuan K, Xie C-B, Liu D, Zhu W-Y, Radon single-pixel imaging with projective sampling, Opt Express, 27(2019)14594–14609.
- Wu J-J, Li S-W, Optical multiple-image compression-encryption via single-pixel Radon transform, Appl Opt, 59(2020)9744–9754.
- Leihong Z, Yang W, Dawei Z, Research on multiple-image encryption mechanism based on Radon transform and ghost imaging, Opt Commun, 504(2022); Art.ID:127494; doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2021.127494.
- Ilovitsh T, Ilovitsh A, Sheridan J, Zalevsky Z, Optical realization of the Radon transform, Opt Express, 22(2014) 32301–32307.
- Higham N J, Computing the polar decomposition with applications, SIAM J Sci Stat Comp, 7(1986)1160–1174.
- Hai H, Pan S-X, Liao M H, Lu D J, He W-Q, Peng X, Cryptanalysis of random-phase-encoding-based optical cryptosystem via deep learning, Opt Express, 27(2019)21204–21213.
- Zhou L N, Xiao Y, Chen W, Learning-based attacks for detecting the vulnerability of computer-generated hologram based optical encryption, Opt Express, 28(2020)2499–2510.
- Liao M H, Zheng S-S, Pan X-S, Lu D-J, He W-Q, Situ G-H. Peng X, Deep-learning based cipher text-only attack on optical double random phase encryption, Optoelectron Adv, 4 (2021) Art.ID:200016; doi.102906/oea.2021.20016.
- He W-Q, Pan X-S, Liao M-H, Lu D-J, Xing Q, Peng X, A learning-based method of attack on optical asymmetric cryptosystems, Opt Lasers Eng, 138(2021) 106425; doi.org/10.1016/j.optlaseng.2020.106415