Editor-in-Chief : V.K. Rastogi
|Asian Journal of Physics||Vol. 30 Nos 8 & 9 (2021) 1339-1354|
Analysis of lucky imaging aided aperture synthesis
Jennifer E Ward1, William T Rhodes2 and John T Sheridan1
Many potential benefits arise when lucky imaging is combined with aperture synthesis techniques. Assuming Kolmogorov type turbulence, we develop the relationship between the number of images captured, sub-aperture widths and separations, and the criterion used to determine the performance of the system. Simple equations are presented that provide the user with a means of determining the lucky probability as a function of these parameters. A comparison of the probabilities is made for sub-apertures that are circular in shape. The practical implementation of the scheme is then discussed, and numerical simulations are presented in which typical results produced using the proposed implementation are presented. Finally, a synthesized image is presented in which twelve lucky images are combined using the image stacking software program “RegiStax”. © Anita Publications. All rights reserved.
Keywords: Lucky imaging; aperture synthesis; imaging through atmospheric turbulence.
Peer Review Information
Method: Single- anonymous; Screened for Plagiarism? Yes
Buy this Article in Print © Anita Publications. All rights reserved
- Roggemann M C, Welsh B, Imaging through Turbulence, (CRC Press, Boca Raton), 1996.
- Labeyrie A, Lipson S G, Nisenson P, An Introduction to Optical Stellar Interferometry, (Cambridge University Press, New York), 2006.
- Baldwin J E, Tubbs R N, Cox G C, Mackay C D, Wilson R W, Anderson M I, Diffraction-limited 800 nm imaging with the 2.56 m Nordic Optical Telescope, A & A, 368(2001)L1-L4.
- Rhodes W T, Digital processing of synthetic aperture optical imagery, Opt Eng, 13(1974)267–274.
- Ward J E, Rhodes W T, Sheridan T, Lucky imaging and aperture synthesis with low-redundancy apertures, Appl Opt, 48(2009)A63–A70.
- Hardy J W, Optics for Astronomical Telescopes, (Oxford University Press, New York), 1998.
- Lane R G, Glindemann A, Dainty J C, Simulation of a Kolmogorov phase screen, Waves Random Media, 2(1992) 209–224.
- Harding C M, Johnston R A, Lane R G, Fast simulation of a Kolmogorov phase screen, Appl Opt, 38(1999)2161–2170.
- Private Communication with Devaney N, Mackay R, Applied Optics Group, National University of Ireland, Galway, (2009).
- RegiStax 5, “http://www.astronomie.be/registax/index.html”.
- Fried D L, Statistics of a geometric representation of wavefront distortion, J Opt Soc Am, 55(1965)1427–1431.
- Fried D L, Probability of getting a lucky short-exposure image through turbulence, J Opt Soc Am, 68(1978)1651–1657.
- Bely P Y, The design and construction of large optical telescopes, (Springer-Verlag, New York), 2003.
- Wolfram Research, Inc., Mathematica, Version 7.0, Champaign, IL (2008).
- Verinaud C, Esposito S, Adaptive-optics correction of a stellar interferometer with a single pyramid wave-front sensor, Opt Lett, 27(2002)470–472.
- Patru F, Mourard D, Lardière O, Clausse M M, Antonelli P, Bresson Y, Lagarde S, First results from SIRIUS, the interferometric imaging demonstrator for VIDA, in ESO Astrophysics Symposia Proceedings, Recent Scientific Results and 2nd Generation Instrumentation, Springer, Berlin Heidelberg (2008).
- Bolcar M R, Fienup J R, Sub-aperture piston phase diversity for segmented and multi-aperture systems, Appl Opt, 48(2009)A5–A12.
- Hénault F, Multi-spectral piston sensor for co-phasing giant segmented mirrors and multi-aperture interferometric arrays, J Opt A: Pure Appl Opt, 11(2009)125503; doi.org/10.1088/1464-4258/11/12/125503.
- Fruchter A S, Hook R N, Drizzle: A method for the linear reconstruction of undersampled images, P A S P, 114(2002)144–152.
- Mackay C, Basden A, Bridgeland M, Astronomical imaging with L3CCDs: Detector performance and high-speed controller design, Proc SPIE, 5499, 203 (2004); doi.org/10.1117/12.550448.
- Mackay C, High efficiency lucky imaging, MNRAS, 432(2013)710–713.