Editor-in-Chief : V.K. Rastogi
|Asian Journal of Physics||Vol 31, Nos 9 – 10 (2022) 939-944|
Analytical model of band rejection filter based on multimode-single
mode-multimode fiber concatenation structure
Protik Roy and Partha Roy Chaudhuri
Department of Physics, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur -721 302, India, India
Here, we propose a novel all-fiber band rejection filter utilizing multimode-single mode-multimode (M-S-M) concatenated structure. The proposed filter consists of two identical multimode fibers (MMFs) and a conventional single-mode fiber (SMF) of a very small length, which is spliced between the MMFs. Since there is a core diameter difference between MMF and SMF, the cladding of the SMF are excited along with core modes and an interference loss between core mode and cladding modes is observed. By systematically adjusting the parameters of fibers of the proposed device, we show that the interference loss in the device can be utilized as a band rejection filter. © Anita Publications. All rights reserved.
Keywords: Optical fiber filter, Modal overlap, Core and cladding modes, Modal interference.
Peer Review Information
Method: Single- anonymous; Screened for Plagiarism? Yes
Buy this Article in Print © Anita Publications. All rights reserve
- Rugeland P, Margulis W, Revisiting twin-core fiber sensors for high-temperature measurements, Appl Opt, 51(2012) 6227–6232.
- Guzman-Sepulveda J R, Dominguez-Cruz R, Sanchez-Mondragon J J, May-Arrioja D A, Curvature sensor based on a two-core optical fiber, Proc Conf Lasers Electro-Opt, 1(2012)JW2A-116.
- Vengsarkar A M, Lemaire P J, Judkins J B, Bhatia V, Erdogan T, Sipe J E, Long-period fiber gratings as band-rejection filters, J Light Technol, 14(1996)58–65.
- Yun S H, Hwang I K, Kim B Y, All-fiber tunable filter and laser based on two-mode fiber, Opt Lett, 21(1996)27–29.
- Vallée R, Drolet D, Practical coupling device based on a two-core optical fiber, Appl Opt, 33(1994)5602–5610.
- Marques C A F, Oliveira R A, Pohl A A P, Nogueira R N, Adjustable EDFA gain equalization filter for DWDM channels based on a single LPG excited by flexural acoustic waves, Opt Commun, 285(2012)3770–3774.
- Lin C Y, Wang L A, A wavelength- and loss-tunable band-rejection filter based on corrugated long period fiber grating, IEEE Photon Technol Lett, 13(2001)332–334.
- Kim J, Paek U C, Lee B H, Hu J, Marks B, Menyuk C R, Impact of interstitial air holes on a wide bandwidth rejection filter made from a photonic crystal fiber, Opt Lett, 31(2006)1196–1198.
- Chavez R I M, Rios A M, Gomez I T, Chavez J A A, Aguilar R S, Ayala J E, Wavelength band rejection filters based on optical fiber fattening by fusion splicing, Opt Laser Technol, 40(2008)671–675.
- Canning J, Psaila D C, Brodzeli Z, Higley A, Janos M, Characterization of apodized fiber Bragg gratings for rejection filter applications, Appl Opt, 36(1997)9378–9382.
- Chen D R, Yang T J, Wu J J, Shen L F, Liao K L, He S L, Band-rejection fiber filter and fiber sensor based on a Bragg fiber of transversal resonant structure, Opt Express, 16(2008)16489–16495.
- Du F, Lu Y Q, Wu S T, Electrically tunable liquid-crystal photonic crystal fiber, Appl Phys Lett, 85(2004)2181–2183.
- Bae J K, Kim S H, Kim J H, Bae J, Lee S B, Jeong J M, Spectral shape tunable band-rejection filter using a long-period fiber grating with divided coil heaters, IEEE Photon Technol Lett, 15(2003)407–409.
- Sohn K R, Kim K T, Thermo-optically tunable band-rejection filters using mechanically formed longperiod fiber gratings, Opt Lett, 30(2005)2688–2690.
- Zhao Z Y, Tang M, Liao H Q, Ren G B, Fu S N, Yang F, Shum P P, Liu D M, Programmable multi-wavelength filter with Mach-Zehnder interferometer embedded in ethanol filled photonic crystal fiber, Opt Lett, 39(2014)2194–2197.
- Zu P, Chan C C, Gong T X, Jin Y X, Wong W C, Dong X Y, Magneto-optical fiber sensor based on bandgap effect of photonic crystal fiber infiltrated with magnetic fluid, Appl Phys Lett, 101(2012)241118; doi. org/10.1063/1.4772017.
- Biswas R, Karmakar P, Gogoi C, Sarma D, A comparative analysis of hetero core spliced msm and sms system in terms of transmittance, Int J Opt Photonics, 3(2017)16–19.
- Javorsky B, Silva R E, Pohl A A P, Wavelength tunable filter based on acousto-optic modulation of a double-core fiber, IEEE Photon Technol Lett, 31(2019)1135–1138.
- Roy P, Chaudhuri P R, Characteristics of cladding mode-based refractive index sensor using MMF-SMF-MMF configuration, J Opt, 2022.