Editor-in-Chief : V.K. Rastogi
|Asian Journal of Physics||Vol 31, Nos 3 – 6 (2022) A27-A32|
Design, experimental demonstration and modeling fiber ring resonator device with fiber cantilever-deflection probe for sensing surrounding electric field
Isha Sharma and Partha Roy Chaudhuri
Department of Physics, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur -721 302, India
Dedicated to Professor Bishnu P Pal for his enormous contributions to the advancement of research and education in science and technology through his unique vision and outstanding dedication
In this report, we describe design, experimental realization and demonstration of a direct coupled fiber ring resonator having a fiber cantilever-deflection transducer in the ring loop for sensing the electric field in the vicinity. The transducer probe is the free end of the fiber forming the loop whose tip is coated with cobalt-modified bismuth ferrite nanoparticles forming a deflecting fiber cantilever. We performed a series of experiments to investigate the observed resultant variation of resonance patterns in the environment of varying electric field. We successfully demonstrate a sensitivity of 0.05 kV/cm in the dynamic range of 0 – 0.75 kV/cm. We provide a theoretical platform to model the working principle of the cantilever-based fiber resonator. The transmission characteristics of our model precisely mimic the experimental transmission signature, thereby establishing the efficacy of the model that defines the operating principle of the device. © Anita Publications. All rights reserved.
Keywords: Fiber-optic sensor, Cantilever beam deflection, Fiber ring resonator, Electric field sensor.
Peer Review Information
Method: Single- anonymous; Screened for Plagiarism? Yes
Buy this Article in Print © Anita Publications. All rights reserve
- Van V. Optical microring resonators: theory, techniques, and applications, (CRC Press), 2016.
- Sheraji F E, Steady-state performance analysis of fiber-optic ring resonator, Prog Quantum Electron, 33(2009)1–16.
- Sanders G A, Strandjord L K, Qiu T, Hollow core fiber optic ring resonator for rotation sensing, (Optical Fiber Sensors. Optica Publishing Group), 2006.
- Liu L, Liu S, Qian W, Li H, Ma H, Resonant fiber optical gyroscope using the single-mode fiber ring resonator, Appl Opt, 60(2021)6755–6760.
- Shen B, Lin H, Azadeh S S, Nojic J, Kang M, Merget F, Richardson K A, Hu J, Witzens J, Reconfigurable frequency-selective resonance splitting in chalcogenide microring resonators, ACS Photonics, 7(2020)499–511.
- Stokes L, Chodorow M, Shaw H, Sensitive all-single-mode-fiber resonant ring interferometer, J Light Technol, 1(1983)110–115.
- Song J, Zhang M, Wu Q, Jiang X, Zhang H, Zheng Z, Cascaded Mach-Zehnder interferometer and ring resonator with MXene for temperature sensing, In CLEO: Science and Innovations, Optical Society of America, pp. JW1A-168(22021).
- Stokes L, Chodorow M, Shaw H, All-fiber stimulated Brillouin ring laser with submilliwatt pump threshold, Opt Lett, 7(1982)509–511.
- Kobtsev S M, Kukarin S V, Smirnov S V, Kobtsev Y S F, High-energy mode-locked all-fiber laser with ultralong resonator, Laser Phys, 20.2(2010)351–356.
- Pang Y, Xu Y, Zhao X, Qin Z, Liu Z, Stabilized Narrow-Linewidth Brillouin Random Fiber Laser With a Double-Coupler Fiber Ring Resonator, J Light Technol, 40(2022)2988–2995.
- Ghosh B, Mandal S, Resonant Filters Based on Ring Resonator With Multiple π-Phase-Shifted Fiber Bragg Grating, IEEE Sens J, 21(2021)21529–21536.
- Geuzebroek D H, Driessen A, Ring-resonator-based wavelength filters, In Wavelength filters in fibre optics, (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg), 2006, pp 341–379.
- Küng A, Budin J, Thévenaz L, Rober P A, Optical fiber ring resonator characterization by optical time-domain reflectometry, Opt Lett, 22(1997)90–92.
- Pattnaik P K, Vijayaaditya B, Srinivas T, Selvarajan A, Optical MEMS pressure sensor using ring resonator on a circular diaphragm, International Conference on MEMS, NANO and Smart Systems, pp 277-280, IEEE, 2005.
- Biswas U, Rakshit J K, Suthar B, Kumar D, Nayak C, Modeling and analysis of all-optical pressure sensor using photonic crystal based micro ring resonator, Int J Numer Model: Electron Netw Devices Fields, 35(2022)e2962; doi. 10.1002/jnm.2962.
- Rajasekar R, Robinson S, Nano-pressure and temperature sensor based on hexagonal photonic crystal ring resonator, Plasmonics, 14(2019)3–15.
- Xu H, Hafezi M, Fan J, Taylor J M, Strouse G F, Ahmed Z, Ultra-sensitive chip-based photonic temperature sensor using ring resonator structures, Opt Express, 22(2014)3098–3104.
- Bhola B, Nosovitskiy P, Mahalingam H, Steier W H, Sol-gel-based integrated optical microring resonator humidity sensor, IEEE Sens J, 9(2009)740–747.
- Steglich P, Villringer C, Pulwer S, Heinrich F, Bauer J, Dietzel B, Mai C, Mai A, Casalboni M, Schrader S , Hybrid-waveguide ring resonator for biochemical sensing, IEEE Sens J, 17(2017)4781–4790.
- Sun Y, Xudong F, Optical ring resonators for biochemical and chemical sensing, Anal Bioanal Chem, 399(2011)205–211.
- Ajad A K, Islam M J, Kaysir M R, Atai J, Highly sensitive bio sensor based on WGM ring resonator for hemoglobin detection in blood samples, Optik, 226(2021)166009; doi.org/10.1016/j.ijleo.2020.166009.
- Sahraeibelverdi T, Guo L J, Veladi H, Malekshahi M R, Polymer Ring Resonator with a Partially Tapered Waveguide for Biomedical Sensing: Computational Study, Sensors, 21(2021)5017; doi.org/10.3390/s21155017.
- Chandran S, Gupta R K, Das B K, Dispersion enhanced critically coupled ring resonator for wide range refractive index sensing, IEEE J Sel Top Quantum Electron, 23(2016)424–432.
- Linslal C L, Mohan P S, Halder A, Gangopadhyay T K, Analysis and modeling of an optical fiber loop resonator and an evanescent field absorption sensor for the application for chemical detection, Sens Actuator A Phys, 194(2013)160–68.
- Vollmer F, Fischer P, Frequency-domain displacement sensing with a fiber ring-resonator containing a variable gap, Sens Actuator A Phys, 134(2007)410–413.
- Bharti G K, Rakshit J K, Pal S S, Design and modeling of mode-conversion in ring resonator and its application in all-optical switching, Microsyst Technol, 25(2019)295–306.
- Sharma I, Chaudhuri P R, A new approach to sensing low electric field using optical fibers’ beam-deflection configuration with BiFe0.9Co0.1O3 nanoparticles as probe and determination of polarization, Opt Fiber Technol, 62(2021)102472: doi.org/10.1016/j.yofte.2021.102472.
- Zheng F, Lit J W Y, Direct-coupling single-mode fiber ring resonator, J Opt Soc Am A, 5(1988)1347–1355.
- Zheng F, Lit J W Y, Compound fiber ring resonator: theory, J Opt Soc Am A, 11(1994)1867–1873.
- Ghatak A, Thyagarajan K, Introduction to Fiber Optics, (Cambridge University Press), Reprint 2011.