Editor-in-Chief : V.K. Rastogi
|Asian Journal of Physics||Vol 32, Nos 3 & 4 (2023) 137-142|
Experimental determination of the MTF of a diffraction limited image forming system: an approximation to the eye pupil characterization
Elena Alonso-Redondo1, Maria L Calvo1, and Vasudevan Lakshminarayanan
1Department of Optics, Faculty of Physical Sciences, Complutense University of Madrid, 28040 Madrid, Spain
2School of Optometry and Vision Science and Department of Physics and Electrical and Computing Engineering,
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada N2L3G1
Dedicated to honor of Prof Jay M Enoch
We present results on the design of an optical image forming system. The design will enable us to study small apertures effect in image formation of the eye. The system is designed to operate with various laser sources and to obtain the Modulation transfer function (MTF) dependence with wavelength. It is then extended to characterize the monochromatic MTF function, its spatial dependence on the aperture size of the limited system and the spectral dependence of the optical system response. Computational work is compared with experimental data. © Anita Publications. All rights reserved.
Keywords: Diffraction, Image processing optical systems, Modulation transfer function, Eye pupil.
Peer Review Information
Method: Single- anonymous; Screened for Plagiarism? Yes
Buy this Article in Print © Anita Publications. All rights reserve
- Goodman J W, Introduction to Fourier Optics, (Roberts & Company Publishers, Englewood, Colorado), 3rd edn, 2005.
- Van der Lugt A B, Signal detection by complex spatial filtering, IEEE Trans Inform Theory, 10(1964)139–145.
- Duffieux P M, L’Intégrale de Fourier et ses Applications à l’Optique, (Oberthur, Rennes), 1946 [in French]. Ibid, The Fourier Transform and its Applications to Optics, (Wiley, New York), 1983.
- Ozhu H, Enoch J M, O’Hair J, Optical modulation by the isolated retina and retinal receptors, Vision Res, 12 (1972)231–244.
- Williams T, The Optical Transfer Function of Imaging Systems, (Routledge, New York), 1999, Chapter 2. E book Published October 2017.
- Yan Y, Thompson K, Burns S A, Pupil location under mesopic, photopic and pharmacologically dilated conditions, Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 43(2002)2508–2512.
- Atchison D A, Smith G, Optics of the Human Eye, (Butterworth-Heinemann, Edinburgh), 2002, 2nd edn, pp 23-25.
- Lakshminarayanan V, Calvo M L, The optical transfer function and point spread function of the eye treated as a cascade linear system under Fresnel regime, Selected Topics in Mathematical Physics: Professor R Vasudevan Memorial Volume, eds Sridhar R, Srinivasa Rao K, Lakshminarayanan V, (Allied Publishers Pvt. Ltd.), 1995..
- Campbell F W, Green D G, Optical and retinal factors affecting visual resolution, J Physiol, 181(1965)576–593.
- Valois R De, Valois K De, Spatial Vision, (Oxford Science, New York), 1988, pp 157–160.
- García-Guerra C E, Martínez-Roda J A, Aldaba M, Díaz-Doutón F, Vilaseca M, Vohnsen B, and Pujol J, Method to reduce undesired multiple fundus scattering effects in double-pass systems, J Opt Soc Am A, 36(2019)918–924.
- Chung S T L, LaFrance M W, and Bedell H E, Influence of Motion Smear on Visual Acuity in Simulated Infantile Nystagmus, Optom Vis Sci, 88(2011)200–207.
- Valente D, Vohnsen B, Retina-simulating phantom produced by photolithography, Opt Lett, 42(2017)4623–4626.
- Artal P, Marcos S, Navarro R, Williams D R, Odd aberrations and double-pass measurements of retinal image quality, J Opt Soc Am A, 12(1995)195–201.
- Calvo M L (Coord.), Optica Avanzada [Advanced Optics] (Ariel, Barcelona, 2007), Chapter 3: Optical Coherence [in Spanish].
- Paredes-Barato D, Calvo M L, On the Thompson-Wolf experiment. A study with laser sources, JEOS: Rapid Publications, 5(2010)10051–10057.
- Astadjov D N, Prakash O, Spatial coherence of low-cost 532nm green lasers, Proc SPIE, 8770, (2013) 87701P-1.
- Alieva T, Calvo M L, Paraxial diffraction on structures generated by multiplicative iterative procedures, J Opt A: Pure Appl Opt, 5(2003)S324; doi.10.1088/1464-4258/5/5/386.
- Watson A B, A formula for the mean human optical modulation transfer function as a function of pupil size, J Vis, 13(2013)18; doi. org/10.1167/13.6.18; and references therein.
- Amorim A R, Bret B, González-Méijome J M, Opto-Mechanical Eye Models, a Review on Human Vision Applications and Perspectives for Use in Industry, Sensors, 22(2022)7686; doi.org/10.3390/s22197686.