Editor-in-Chief : V.K. Rastogi
|Asian Journal of Physics||Vol. 30 Nos 10 & 11 (2021) 1513-1520|
Graphics processing unit assisted space-frequency method for high-speed defect propagation analysis from fringe patterns
Ankur Vishnoi and Gannavarpu Rajshekhar
In non-invasive optical metrology, high-speed defect propagation analysis from the fringe pattern is of great interest. The paper proposes a graphics processing unit (GPU) assisted space-frequency method for rapid fringe processing to trace the defect propagation in the fringe patterns. In order to illustrate the proposed method for defect propagation, we have simulated hundred frames of fringe pattern mimicking dynamically evolving crack patterns in a test object. Furthermore, the simulated fringe patterns having sizes of 2048 by 2048 pixels are corrupted with additive white Gaussian noise (AWGN) such that the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) is 0 dB. These noisy fringe patterns are expeditiously processed using the proposed method by utilizing the parallel processing capability of GPU device in conjunction with a robust two-dimensional space-frequency method. The significant improvement in the execution time by parallel processing of GPU device as compared to sequential processing using Python’s NumPy scientific library has been demonstrated and validated using the simulation and experimental results. © Anita Publications. All rights reserved.
Keywords: Optical metrology, Non-destructive testing
Peer Review Information
Method: Single- anonymous; Screened for Plagiarism? Yes
Buy this Article in Print © Anita Publications. All rights reserved
- Rajshekhar G, Rastogi P, Fringe analysis: premise and perspectives, Opt Lasers Eng, 8(2012)iii-x.
- Kruger S, Wernicke G, Osten W, Kayser D, Demoli N, Fault detection and feature analysis in interferometric fringe patterns by the application of wavelet filters in convolution processors, J Electron Imaging, 10(2001)228–233.
- Kemao Q, Seah H S, Asundi A, Fault detection from temporal unusualness in fringe patterns, Fringe 2005, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2006, 183–190.
- Kemao Q, Seah H S, Asundi A, Fault detection by interferometric fringe pattern analysis using windowed Fourier transform, Meas Sci Technol, 16 (2005)1582; doi.org/10.1088/0957-0233/16/8/006.
- Sanders J, Edward K, CUDA by example: an introduction to general-purpose GPU programming, (Addison-Wesley Professional), 2010.
- Espinosa-Romero A, Legarda-Saenz R, GPU based real-time quadrature transform method for 3-D surface measurement and visualization, Opt Express, 19 (2011)12125–12130.
- Mirapeix J, Cobo A, Conde A M, Jaureg C, Real-time arc welding defect detection technique by means of plasma spectrum optical analysis, NDT & E International, 39(2006)356–360.
- Liu S, Lee P C, Luo Q, Fast blood flow visualization of high-resolution laser speckle imaging data using graphics processing unit, Opt Express, 16(2008)14321–14329.
- Vishnoi A, Rajshekhar G, Rapid deformation analysis in digital holographic interferometry using graphics processing unit accelerated Wigner–Ville distribution, Appl Opt, 58(2019)4420–4424.
- Gao W, Kemao Q, Parallel computing in experimental mechanics and optical measurement: A review, Opt Lasers Eng, 50(2012)608–617.
- Rajshekhar G, Gorthi S S, Rastogi P K, Detection of defects from fringe patterns using a pseudo-Wigner–Ville distribution-based method, Opt Lasers Eng, 50(2012)1059–1062.
- Vishnoi A, Sreeprasad A, Rajshekhar G, Wigner–Ville distribution-based diffraction phase microscopy for non-destructive testing, J Mod Opt, 66(2019)1644–1651.
- Vishnoi A, Aditya M, Sreeprasad A, Automated defect identification from carrier fringe patterns using Wigner–Ville distribution and a machine learning-based method, Appl Opt, 60(2021)4391–4397.
- Vishnoi A, Rajshekhar G, Fast fringe analysis method using graphics processing unit acceleration for dynamic fault identification, Optics and Photonics for Advanced Dimensional Metrology, International Society for Optics and Photonics, (2020) 11352.
- Sreeprasad A, Rajshekhar G, Non-invasive precision metrology using diffraction phase microscopy and space-frequency method, Opt Lasers Eng 109 (2018)17–22.
- Harris C R, Millman K J, Walt S J, Gommers R, Virtanen P, Cournapeau D, Wieser E, Taylor J, Berg S, Smith N J, Kern R, Picus M, Hoyer S, Kerkwijk M H, Brett M, Haldane H, Río J F, Wiebe M, Peterson P, Gérard-Marchant P, Sheppard K, Reddy T, Weckesser W, Abbasi H, Gohlke C, Oliphant T E, Array programming with NumPy, Nature, 585(2020)357–362..