Editor-in-Chief : V.K. Rastogi
|Asian Journal of Physics||Vol. 30 Nos 10 & 11 (2021) 1493-1511|
Instrumented indentation combined with optical techniques: challenges and achievements for residual stress and pile-up measurements
M R Viotti
This paper presents research activities developed during the last 10 years by the Labmetro and related to instrumented indentation for the measurement of residual stresses. The paper will describe a modular device based on digital speckle pattern interferometry (DSPI) combined with indentation. The interferometric module has radial in-plane sensitivity to measure the whole displacement field generated by the shallow indentation print on the surface of the material under testing. Additionally, the paper will show the application for bending measurements in real pipes, being important for the integrity evaluation in oil and gas transmission pipelines. To achieve the stress evaluation, numerical and experimental approaches will also be presented.
The accurate determination of the contact area between an instrumented indenter and the material under testing is important for material property measurements. However, it is usually masked by the pile-up or sink-in phenomenon. The paper will also show other research line involving dual-wavelength image-plane digital holography in order to identify and quantify pile-up. Comparative measurements and the development of a portable device are also presented © Anita Publications. All rights reserved.
Keywords: Instrumented indentation, Speckle interferometry, Digital holography, Residual stresses, Pile-up.
Peer Review Information
Method: Single- anonymous; Screened for Plagiarism? Yes
Buy this Article in Print © Anita Publications. All rights reserved
- Das G, Ghosh S, Ghosh S, Ghosh R N, Materials characterization and classification on the basis of materials pile-up surrounding the indentation, Mater Sci Eng A, 408(2005)158–164.
- Oliver W C, Pharr G M, An improved technique for determining hardness and elastic modulus using load and displacement sensing indentation experiments, J Mater Res, 7(1992)1564–1583.
- Ahn J H and Kwon D, Derivation of plastic stress–strain relationship from ball indentations: Examination of strain definition and pileup effect, J Mater Res, 16(2001)3170–3178.
- Suresh S, Giannakopoulos A E, A new method for estimating residual stresses by instrumented sharp indentation, Acta Mater, 46(1998)5755–5767.
- Swadener J G, Taljat B, Pharr G M, Measurement of residual stress by load and depth sensing indentation with spherical indenters, J Mater Res, 16(2001)2091–2102.
- Murty K L, Mathew M D, Wang Y, Shah V N, Haggag F M, Nondestructive determination of tensile properties and fracture toughness of cold worked A36 steel, Int J Press Vess Piping, 75(1998)831–840.
- Asif S A S., Wahl K J, Colton R J, Nanoindentation and contact stiffness measurement using force modulation with a capacitive load-displacement transducer, Rev Sci Instrum, 70(1999)2408–2413.
- James M R, Lu J, Introduction. In Lu J (ed). Handbook of Measurement of Residual Stresses, (The Fairmont Press, Lilburn, GA), 1996, p. 1-4,
- Rendler N J, Vigness I, Hole-drilling strain-gage method of measuring residual stresses, Exp Mech, 6(1966)577–586.
- ASTM E837-20, Standard test method for determining residual stresses by the hole-drilling strain-gage method. In Annual Book of ASTM Standards (Am Soc Test Mat), 2020.
- Furgiuele F M, Pagnotta L, Poggialini A, Measuring residual stresses by hole drilling and coherent optics techniques: a numerical calibration, J Eng Mater Tech, 113(1991)41–50.
- Giannakopoulos A E, Suresh S, Determination of Elastoplastic Properties by Instrumented Sharp Indentation, Scripta Materialia, 40(1999)1191–1198.
- Giannakopoulos A E, Suresh S, Indentation of Solids with Gradients in Elastic Properties. Part I: Point Force, J Sol and Struct, 34(1997)2357–2392.
- Giannakopoulos A E, Suresh S, Theory of Indentation of Piezoelectric Materials, Acta Materialia, 47(1997)2153–2164.
- Underwood J H, Residual stress measurement using surface displacements around an indentation, Exp Mech, 13(1973)373–380.
- Suterio R, Albertazzi A (Jr), Cavaco M A M, Preliminary evaluation: the indentation method combined with a radial Interferometer for residual stress measurement, In SEM Annual Conference and Exposition on Experimental Applied Mechanics, (SEM, USA), 2003.
- Suterio R, Albertazzi A (Jr), Amaral F K, Residual stress measurement using indentation and a radial electronic speckle pattern interferometer – recent progress, J Strain Anal Eng Des, 41(2006)517–524.
- Viotti M R, Kapp W, Albertazzi A (Jr), Achromatic digital speckle pattern interferometer with constant radial in-plane sensitivity by using a diffractive optical element, App Opt, 48(2009)2275–2281.
- Viotti M R, Albertazzi A (Jr), Bonomo D, Fontana F, Radial in-plane digital speckle pattern interferometer combined with instrumented indentation, Opt Lasers Eng, 71(2015)1–8.
- Viotti M R, Albertazzi A (Jr), Kapp W, Experimental comparison between a portable DSPI device with diffractive optical element and a hole drilling strain gage combined system, Opt Lasers Eng, 46(2008)835–841.
- Fontana F, Viotti M R, Albertazzi A (Jr), Bending Stress Determination in a Pipe Test Bench Using DSPI Combined with Instrumented Indentation, Exp Mech, 56(2016)713–722.
- Norbury A L, Samuel T, The recovery and sinking-in or piling-up of material in the Brinell test and the effects of these factors on the correlation of the Brinell with certain other hardness tests, J Iron Steel Inst, 117(1928)673–687.
- Matthews J R, Indentation hardness and hot pressing, Acta Metall, 28(1980)311–318.
- Alcalá J, Barone A C, Anglada M, The influence of plastic hardening on surface deformation modes around Vickers and spherical indents, Acta Mater, 48(2000)3451–3464.
- Taljat B, Pharr G M, Development of pile-up during spherical indentation of elastic-plastic solids, Int J Sol Struct, 41(2004)3891–3904.
- Kim S H, Lee B W, Choi Y, Kwon D, Quantitative determination of contact depth during spherical indentation of metallic materials – A FEM study, Mater Sci Eng A, 415(2006)59–65.
- Quan C, He X Y, Wang C F, Tay C J, Shang H M, Shape measurement of small objects using LCD fringe projection with phase shifting, Opt Commun, 189(2001)21–29.
- Quan C, Tay C J, He X Y, Kang X, Shang H M, Microscopic surface contouring by fringe projection method, Opt Laser Technol, 34(2002)547–552.
- Polhemus C, Two-wavelength interferometry, Appl Opt, 12(1973)2071–2074.
- Creath K, Cheng Y Y, Wyant J C, Contouring aspheric surfaces using two-wavelength phase-shifting interferometry, Opt Acta, 32(1985)1455–1464.
- Hildebrand B P, Haines K A, Multiple-wavelength and multiple-source holography applied to contour generation, J Opt Soc Am, 57(1967)155–162.
- Zelenka J S, Varner J R, A new method for generating depth contours holographically, App Opt, 7(1968)2107–2110.
- Heflinger L O. Wuerker R F, Holographic contouring via multifrequency lasers, App Phys Lett, 15(1969)28–30.
- Viotti M R, Albertazzi A (Jr), Measurement of pile-up around spherical indentation by image-plane digital holography, App Opt, 56(2017)8092–8099.
- Viotti M R, Albertazzi A (Jr), Boing D, Blödorn R, Sensitivity of an image-plane digital holography interferometer for the measurement of pile-up. In Proc SPIE 11056, Optical Measurement Systems for Industrial Inspection XI, 1105649, (2019).
- Huntley J M, Automated analysis of speckle interferograms, In: P K Rastogi (ed), Digital Speckle Pattern Interferometry and Related Techniques, (Wiley, New York), 2001, pp 59–139,
- Ghiglia D C, Romero L A, Minimum LP-norm two-dimensional phase unwrapping, J Opt Soc Am A, 13(1996)1999–2013.
- Zienkiewicz O C, Taylor R L, Finite Element Method, Vol 2, 4th edn, (MacGraw-Hill/Interamericana de España, Madrid, Spain), 1995, (Spanish version).
- Bolshakov A. Pharr G M, Influences of pile-up on the measurement of mechanical properties by load and depth sensing indentation techniques, J Mater Res, 13(1998)1049–1058.
- Pedrini G, Tiziani H J, Zou Y, Digital double pulse-TV-holography, Opt Lasers Eng, 26(1997)199–219.
- Zou Y L, Pedrini G, Tiziani H J, Two-wavelength contouring with a pulsed ruby laser by employing TV-holography, J Modern Opt, 43(1996)639–646.
- Jones R, Wykes C, Holographic and speckle interferometry, (Cambridge University Press), 1989.
- Viotti M R, Kaufmann G H, Galizzi G E, Measurement of elastic moduli using spherical indentation and digital speckle pattern interferometry with automated data processing, Opt Lasers Eng, 44(2006)495–508.