Editor-in-Chief : V.K. Rastogi
|Asian Journal of Physics||Vol 31, No 8 (2022) 879-884|
Measurement of frequency response in photodetectors by plastic optical fiber
Héctor H Cerecedo-Núñez, José E Méndez-Cruz and Patricia Padilla-Sosa
Laboratorio de Óptica Aplicada, Facultad de Física, Universidad Veracruzana, Xalapa, Ver. México.
This article is dedicated to Professor Cesar Sciammarella
This work reports the design of a basic optoelectronic communication system based on using a plastic optical fiber as a transmitting medium. The proposed system is employed to investigate the intensity-modulated frequency response in photodetectors. This system uses an electronic signal to vary an electric current, which controls the luminous power of a laser-emitting diode (infrared). Photodetector recovers the luminous signal which is transformed into an electronic signal to be adapted for further processing. The method used to find the bandwidth of the photodetectors includes voltage-width versus frequency measurements. © Anita Publications. All rights reserved.
Keywords: Plastic optical fiber, Optoelectronic communication, IR photodetectors.
Peer Review Information
Method: Single- anonymous; Screened for Plagiarism? Yes
Buy this Article in Print © Anita Publications. All rights reserve
- Chappell A, Optoelectronics: Theory and Practice, (McGraw-Hill), 1978.
- Razeghi M, Fundamentals of Solid State Engineering, (Springer), 2006.
- Dennis P N J, Photodetectors: an introduction to current technology, (Plenum Press), 1986.
- Jones M, Ethernet over Plastic Optical Fiber, (Micrel Inc., San José, CA. Tech. Rep.), 2008.
- Polishuk P, Plastic optical fibers branch out, IEEE Commun Mag, 44(2006)140–148.
- Visani D, Plastic Optical Fiber for In-Home communication systems, (Bologna, Italy. October 29), 2010.
- Kuriki K, Koike Y, Plastic optical fiber lasers and amplifiers containing lanthanide complexes, Chem Rev, 102 (2002)2347–2356.
- Amin A, Implementation and Investigation of VDSL2 Signal Modulation/Demodulation Functions for FDM Solution via POF Channel, (University of Gavle, Sweden), 2011.
- Mohamed A E N, El-Halawany M M E, Rashed A N Z, El-Hageen H M, Harmful Proton Radiation Damage and Induced Bit Error Effects on the Performance of Avalanche Photodiode Devices, Int J Multidiscip Sci Engineer, 2 (2011)27–36.
- Lomer M, Arrue J, Jauregui C, Aiestaran P, Zubia J, López-Higueraa J M, Lateral polishing of bends in plastic optical fibres applied to a multipoint liquid-level measurement sensor, Sens Actuator A Phys, 137(2007)68–73.
- Montero D S, Vázquez C, Möllers I, Arrúe J, Jäger D, A self-referencing intensity based polymer optical fiber sensor for liquid detection, Sensors, 9(2009)6446–6455.
- Montero D S, Lallana P C, Vázquez C, A polymer optical fiber fuel level sensor: Application to paramotoring and powered paragliding, Sensors, 12(2012)6186–6197.
- Keiser G, Optical Fiber Communications, (McGraw-Hill, Inc.), 1991.
- Schulz P A, Hall K L, Impulse response measurements with 50-GHz bandwidth, IEEE Microw Wirel Compon Lett, 9(1999)120–122.
- Sarkhosh N, Emami H, Bui L, Mitchel A, Reduced Cost Photonic Instantaneous Frequency Measurement System IEEE Photon Technol Lett, 20(2008)1521–1523.
- Zou X, Yao J, An optical approach to microwave frequency measurement with adjustable measurement range and resolution, IEEE Photon Technol Lett, 20(2008)1989–1991.
- Zhang X, Chi H, Zhang X, Zheng S, Jin X, Yao J, Instantaneous microwave frequency measurement using an optical phase modulator, IEEE Microw Wirel Compon Lett, 19(2009)6; doi.10.1109/LMWC.2009.2020046.
- Zhou J, Fu S, Aditya S, Shum PP, Lin C, Instantaneous Microwave Frequency Measurement Using Photonic Technique, IEEE Photon Technol Lett, 21(2009)1069–1071.
- Yoshioka M, Sato S, Kikuchi T, A method for measuring the frequency response of photodetector modules using twice-modulated light, J Light Technol, 23(2005)2112–2117.
- Zhu N H, Wen M, San H S, Huang H P, Zhao L J, Wang W, Improved optical heterodyne methods for measuring frequency responses of photodetectors, IEEE J Quantum Electron, 42(2006)241–248.
- Zhang B H, Zhu N H, Han W, Ke J H, Zhang H G, Ren M, Li W, Xie L, Development of Swept Frequency Method for Measuring Frequency Response of Photodetectors Based on Harmonic Analysis, IEEE Photon Technol Lett, 21(2009)459–461.
- Stanley I W, A tutorial review of techniques for coherent optical fiber transmission systems, IEEE Commun Mag, 23(1985)37–53.
- Kazovsky L G, Optical heterodyning versus optical homodyning: A comparison, J Optical Commun, 6(1985)18–24.
- Linke R A, Henry P S, Coherent optical detection: A thousand calls on one circuit: Dazzling applications for both long-distance and local networks are in the offing as experimental systems adapt long-successful radio techniques, IEEE Spectrum, 24(1987)52–57.
- Nosu K, Advanced coherent lightwave technologies, IEEE Commun Mag, 26(1988)15–21.
- Linke R A, Gnauck A H, High-capacity coherent lightwave systems, J Lightwave Tech, 6(1988)1750–1769.