Editor-in-Chief : V.K. Rastogi
|Asian Journal of Physics||Vol 32, Nos 5 – 8 (2023) 237-242|
Modeling of images of patterned dielectric layers on a substrate: A review
Colin J R Sheppard
1Nanoscopy and NIC@IIT, Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, Via Enrico Melen, 83 Edificio B, 16152 Genova, Italy
2Molecular Horizons, School of Chemistry & Molecular Biosciences, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia
We review modeling of image formation in the reflection geometry of dielectric structures. Early work on applying rigorous scattering theory to image modeling was reported by John Sheridan, in his doctoral thesis. He also investigated approximate methods for scattering calculations. More recent developments in approximate methods based on Born or Kirchhoff approximations are also reviewed. These can be applied to image modeling and reconstruction in partially coherent, confocal or interferometric systems, including low-coherence interference microscopes. © Anita Publications. All rights reserved.
Keywords: Gratings, Diffraction, Scattering, Image formation, Metrology.
Peer Review Information
Method: Single- anonymous; Screened for Plagiarism? Yes
Buy this Article in Print © Anita Publications. All rights reserve
- Sheppard C J R, Sheridan J T, Micrometrology of thick structures, Proc SPIE, 1139(1989)32–40.
- Sheridan J T, Sheppard C J R, An examination of the theories for the calculation of diffraction by square wave gratings: 1. Thickness and period variations for normal incidence, Optik, 85(1990)25–32.
- Sheridan J T, Sheppard C J R, An examination of the theories for the calculation of diffraction by square wave gratings: 2. Angular variation, Optik, 85(1990)57–66.
- Sheridan J T, Sheppard C J R, Sheppard, An examination of the theories for the calculation of diffraction by square wave gratings: 3. Approximate theories, Optik, 85(1990)135–152.
- Sheridan J T, Sheppard C J R, The coherent imaging of periodic thick fine isolated structures, J Opt Soc Am A, 10(1993)614–632.
- Sheridan J T, Sheppard C J R, Modelling of images of square-wave gratings and isolated edges using rigorous diffraction theory, Opt Commun, 105(1994)367–378.
- Knop K, Rigorous diffraction theory for transmission phase gratings with deep rectangular grooves, J Opt Soc Am, 68(1978)1206–1210.
- Gaylord T K, Moharam M G, Planar dielectric grating diffraction theories, Appl Phys B, 28(1982)1–14.
- Li L, Haggan C W, Convergence of the coupled-wave method for metallic lamellar diffraction gratings, J Opt Soc Am A, 10(1993)1184–1189.
- Stokes A R, Three-dimensional diffraction theory of microscope image formation, Proc Royal Soc, (London) A, 212(1951)264–274.
- Wolf E, Three-dimensional structure determination of semi-transparent objects from holographic data, Opt Commun, 1(1969)153–156.
- Nyyssonen D, Theory of optical detection and imaging of thick layer, J Opt Soc Am A, 72(1982)1425–1436.
- Nyyssonen D, Kirk C P, Optical microscope imaging of lines patterned in thick layers with variable edge geometry: theory, J Opt Soc Am A, 5(1988)1270–1280.
- Yuan C-M, Strojwas A J, Modeling optical microscope images of integrated-circuit structures, J Opt Soc Am A, 8 (1991)778–90.
- Sheppard C J R, Heaton J M, Confocal images of straight edges and surface steps, Optik, 68(1984)371–380.
- Sheppard C J R, Matthews H J, Imaging in high aperture optical systems, J Opt Soc Am A, 4(1987)1354–1360.
- Sheppard C J R, Carlini A R, Matthews H J, Three-dimensional imaging of phase steps, Optik, 80(1988)91–94.
- Sheppard C J R, The spatial frequency cut-off in three-dimensional imaging, Optik, 72(1986)131–133.
- Sheppard C J R, Gu M, Axial imaging through an aberrating layer of water in confocal microscopy, Opt Commun, 88(1992)180–190.
- Sheppard C J R, Connolly T J, Lee J, Cogswell C, Confocal imaging of a stratified medium, Opt, 33(1994) 631–640.
- Sheppard C J R, Approximate calculation of the reflection coefficient from a stratified medium, Pure and Appl Opt, 4(1995)665–669.
- Sheppard C J R, Connolly T J, Gu M, Scattering by a one-dimensional rough surface and surface reconstruction by confocal imaging, Phys Rev Lett, 70(1993)1409–1412.
- Sheppard C J R, Connolly T J, Gu M, Imaging and reconstruction for rough surface scattering in the Kirchhoff approximation by confocal microscopy, J Mod Opt, 40(1993)2407–2421.
- Sheppard C J R, Connolly T J, Gu M, The scattering potential for imaging in the reflection geometry, Opt Commun, 117(1995)16–19.
- Sheppard C J R, Aguilar F, Fresnel coefficients for weak reflection, and the scattering potential for three-dimensional imaging, Opt Commun, 162(1999)182–186.
- Sheppard C J R, Imaging of random surfaces and inverse scattering in the Kirchhoff approximation, Waves in Random Media, 8(1998)53–66.
- Sheppard C J R, Scattering and the spatial frequency representation, in Light Scattering and Nanoscale Surface Roughness, (ed) Maradudin A A, (Springer, New York), 2007, pp 61–92.
- Su R, Coupland J, Sheppard C, Leach R, Scattering and three-dimensional imaging in surface topography measuring interference microscopy, J Opt Soc Am A, 38(2021)A27–A42.