Editor-in-Chief : V.K. Rastogi
|Asian Journal of Physics||Vol 30, No 12 (2021) 1619-1625|
Nonlinear optical properties of certain colored, free-flowing, dye-based fountain pen inks
Ajay A R1, Beryl C2 and Reji Philip2
1Department of Physics, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Amritapuri- 690 525, India
2Light and Matter Physics Group, Raman Research Institute, Sadashivanagar, Bangalore 560 080, India
The paper is dedicated to Prof D V G L N Rao
In this work, we investigate the nonlinear optical absorption behaviour of a set of thirteen dye-based fountain pen inks, employing the open-aperture Z-scan technique. 532 nm, 5 ns laser pulses obtained from a frequency-doubled Nd:YAG laser are used for exciting the samples. The inks show reverse saturable absorption (RSA) of varying strengths at high laser fluences, which arises primarily from excited state absorption (ESA). The nonlinear absorption coefficient for each ink is determined by numerically fitting the measured data to the nonlinear propagation equation. Because of strong RSA the inks exhibit an excellent optical limiting property. These inks can have potential applications in the design and fabrication of optical limiter devices for the protection of human eyes and sensitive optical detectors from hazardous laser beams. © Anita Publications. All rights reserved.
Keywords: Z-scan, dye-based ink, Reverse saturable absorption, Optical limiting, Pulsed laser.
Peer Review Information
Method: Single- anonymous; Screened for Plagiarism? Yes
Buy this Article in Print © Anita Publications. All rights reserve
- Boyd R W, Nonlinear Optics, (Academic Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA), 2008.
- Pourtabrizi M, Shahtahmassebi N, Kompany A, Sharifi S, Effect of microemulsion structure on fluorescence and nonlinear optical properties of rhodamine 6G, J Fluoresc, 28(2018)323–336.
- Ghanadan H, Hoseini M, Sazgarnia A, Sharifi S, Effect of ion pairs on nonlinear optical properties of crystal violet: surfactants, nano-droplets, and in vitro culture conditions, J Electron Mater, 48(2019)7417–7426.
- Sharifi S, Nezhad M K, Sangsefedi S A, Rakhshanizadeh F, Effect of charge and dielectric constant on linear and nonlinear optical properties of two dyes, J Electron Mater, 48(2019)4310–4323.
- Bouchouit K, Derkowska B, Migalska-Zalas A, Abed S, Benali-cherif N, Sahraoui B, Nonlinear optical properties of selected natural pigments extracted from spinach: Carotenoids, Dyes Pigments, 86(2010)161–165.
- Kunjappu J T, Essays in ink chemistry: (for paints and coatings too), (Nova Science Publishers, NY, USA), 2001.
- Cai X, Lv Z, Wu H, Hou S, Zou D, Direct application of commercial fountain pen ink to efficient dye-sensitized solar cells, J Mater Chem, 22(2012)9639-9644.
- Bahae M S, Said A A, Wei T M, Hagan D J, Stryland E W V, Bahae M S, Said A A, Wei T M, Hagan D J, Stryland E W V, Sensitive measurement of optical nonlinearities using a single beam, IEEE J Quant Electron, 26(1990)760–769.
- Sutherland R L, Handbook of Nonlinear Optics, 2nd Edn, (Marcel Dekker, NY, USA), 2003.
- Van Stryland EWV, Bahae M S, in Characterization Techniques and Tabulations for Organic Nonlinear Materials, (Eds) Kuzyk M G, Dirk C W, (Marcel Dekker), 1998, pp 655-692.
- Rumi M, Perry J W, Two-photon absorption: an overview of measurements and principles, Adv Opt Phot, 2(2010)451–518.
- Penzkofer A, Blau W, Theoretical analysis of S1-state lifetime measurements of dyes with picosecond laser pulses, Opt Quant Electron, 15(1983)325–347.
- Thomas J, Anija M, Cyriac J, Pradeep T, Philip R, Observation of a fifth order optical nonlinearity in 29 kDa [email protected] alkanethiol clusters excited in the visible, Chem Phys Lett, 403(2005)308–313.
- Fathima R, Mujeeb A, Plasmon enhanced linear and nonlinear optical properties of natural curcumin dye with silver nanoparticles, Dyes Pigments, 189(2021)109256; doi.org/10.1016/j.dyepig.2021.109256.
- Thankappan A, Thomas S, Nampoori V P N, Solvent effect on the third order optical nonlinearity and optical limiting ability of betanin natural dye extracted from red beet root, Opt Mater, 35(2013)2332–2337.