Editor-in-Chief : V.K. Rastogi
|Asian Journal of Physics||Vol 32, Nos 1 & 2 (2023) 35-44|
Picosecond laser-ablated metal nanostructures and nanoparticles for SERS-based sensing applications
Jagannath Rathod, M S S Bharati, Chandu Byram, and Venugopal Rao Soma*
Advanced Centre of Research in High Energy Materials (ACRHEM),
University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad- 500 046, Telangana, India
We present results from our studies on the fabrication of gold (Au) nanostructures (NSs) using picosecond (ps) laser ablation in ambient air, as well as the fabrication of silver (Ag) nanoparticles (NPs) in various liquids, such as distilled water, NaOH and KOH. The synthesized Au NSs and Ag NPs are utilized as surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS) substrates. Au NSs sensitivity was further improved with the deposition of chemically synthesized Au nanostars. The shape and size of obtained Ag NPs and Au nanostars were investigated using transmission electron microscopy (TEM). The morphology of the laser-patterned areas on the Au surface was studied by field emission scanning electron microscope (FESEM) measurements. The Au nanostars decorated on laser-patterned Au SERS substrate exhibited superior reproducibility of the Raman signals (< 10% RSD) and better SERS enhancement factors (~105) for thiram (a commonly used fungicide molecule in a variety of crops) in comparison with the laser-patterned Au (without Au nanostars) as well as Au nanostars decorated flat Au substrates. The stability of Ag NPs was studied by UV-visible absorption spectroscopic technique. Ag NPs synthesized in NaOH and KOH liquid environment are stable for 30 days compared with Ag NPs dispersed in distilled water. © Anita Publications. All rights reserved.
Keywords: laser ablation, metal nanoparticles, SERS, thiram, methylene blue, alkali metal hydroxide.
Peer Review Information
Method: Single- anonymous; Screened for Plagiarism? Yes
Buy this Article in Print © Anita Publications. All rights reserve
- Li J, Lin H, Zhang X, Li M, Seed shape-controlled, facet-selective growth of superspiky gold nanocrystals for biosensing applications, J Mater Chem C, 9(2021)8694; doi.org/10.1039/D1TC02083H.
- Terry L R, Sanders S, Potoff R H, Kruel J W, Jain M, Guo H, Applications of surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy in environmental detection, Anal Sci Adv, 3(2022)113–145.
- Nehra K, Pandian S K, Bharati M S S, Soma V R, Enhanced catalytic and SERS performance of shape/size controlled anisotropic gold nanostructures, New J Chem, 43(2019)3835–3847.
- Guerrero-Martínez A, Barbosa S, Pastoriza-Santos I, Liz-Marzán L M, Nanostars shine bright for you: colloidal synthesis, properties and applications of branched metallic nanoparticles, Curr Opin Colloid Interface Sci, 16 (2011)118–127.
- Ma J, Liu X, Wang R, Zhang J, Jiang P, Wang Y, Tu G, Bimetallic core–shell nanostars with tunable surface plasmon resonance for surface-enhanced Raman scattering, ACS Appl Nano Mater, 3(2020)10885–10894.
- .Kumar P S, Pastoriza-Santos I, Rodríguez-González B, De Abajo F J G, Liz-Marzán L M, High-yield synthesis and optical response of gold nanostars, Nanotechnology, 19(2007)015606; doi. 10.1088/0957-4484/19/01/015606.
- Nehra K, Pandian S K, Byram C, Moram S S B, Soma V R, Quantitative analysis of catalysis and SERS performance in hollow and star-shaped Au nanostructures, J Phys Chem, 123(2019)16210–16222.
- Zhu J, Liu M-J, Li J-J, Li X, Zhao J-W, Multi-branched gold nanostars with fractal structure for SERS detection of the pesticide thiram, Spectrochim Acta, A189(2018)586–593.
- Moram S S B, Byram C, Soma V R Gold-nanoparticle-and nanostar-loaded paper-based SERS substrates for sensing nanogram-level Picric acid with a portable Raman spectrometer, Bull Mater Sci, 43(2020)53; doi.org/10.1007/s12034-019-2017-8.
- Zeng H, Du X W, Singh S C, Kulinich S A, Yang S, He J, Cai W, Nanomaterials via Laser Ablation/Irradiation in Liquid: A Review, Adv Funct Mater, 22(2012)1333–1353.
- Fazio E, Gökce B, De Giacomo A, Meneghetti M, Compagnini G, Tommasini M, Waag F, Lucotti A, Zanchi C G, Ossi P M, Nanoparticles Engineering by Pulsed Laser Ablation in Liquids: Concepts and Applications, Nanomaterials, 10(2020)2317; doi.org/10.3390/nano10112317.
- Barcikowski S, Hahn A, Kabashin A V, Chichkov B N, Properties of nanoparticles generated during femtosecond laser machining in air and water, Appl Phys A, 87(2007)47–55.
- Rao S V, Podagatlapalli G K, Hamad S, Ultrafast laser ablation in liquids for nanomaterials and applications, J Nanosci Nanotechnol, 14(2014)1364–1388.
- Semerok A, Chaléard C, Detalle V, Lacour J L, Mauchien P, Meynadier P, Nouvellon C, Sallé B, Palianov P, Perdrix M, Petite G, Experimental investigations of laser ablation efficiency of pure metals with femto, pico and nanosecond pulses, Appl Surf Sci, 138–139(1999)311–314.
- Byram C, Moram S S B, Soma V R, SERS based detection of multiple analytes from dye/explosive mixtures using picosecond laser fabricated gold nanoparticles and nanostructures, Analyst, 144(2019)2327–2336.
- Šišková K, Vlčková B, Turpin P Y, Fayet C, Ion-specific effects on laser ablation of silver in aqueous electrolyte solutions, J Phys Chem C, 112 (2008)4435–4443.
- Osorio M F, Salazar A, Prieto F, Boulanger P, Figueroa P, Three-dimensional digitization of highly reflective and transparent objects using multi-wavelength range sensing, Machine Vision and Applications, 23 (2012)761–772.
- Rathod J, Byram C, Kanaka R K, Bharati M S S, Banerjee D, Akkanaboina M, Soma V R, Hybrid surface-enhanced Raman scattering substrates for the trace detection of ammonium nitrate, thiram, and nile blue, ACS Omega, 18(2022)15969–15981.
- Moram S S B, Shaik A K, Byram C, Hamad S, Soma V R, Instantaneous trace detection of nitro-explosives and mixtures with nanotextured silicon decorated with Ag–Au alloy nanoparticles using the SERS technique, Anal Chim Acta, 1101(2019)157–168.
- Madzharova F, Heiner Z, Gühlke M, Kneipp J, Surface-enhanced hyper-Raman spectra of adenine, guanine, cytosine, thymine, and uracil, J Phys Chem C, 120(2016)15415–15423.
- Liu S, Zheng G, Li J, Raman spectral study of metal–cytosine complexes: A density functional theoretical (DFT) approach, Spectrochim Acta, A79(2011)1739–1746.
- Vendamani V S, Beeram R, Neethish M M, Rao S V S N, Rao S V, Wafer-scale silver nanodendrites with homogeneous distribution of gold nanoparticles for biomolecules detection, iScience, 25(2022)104849; doi.org/10.1016/j.isci.2022.104849.
- Ru E C L, Blackie E, Meyer M, Etchegoin P G, Surface enhanced Raman scattering enhancement factors: a comprehensive study, J Phys Chem C, 111(2007)13794–13803.