Editor-in-Chief : V.K. Rastogi
|Asian Journal of Physics||Vol 32, Nos 3 & 4 (2023) 211-216|
X-ray micro-CT for morphology analysis of ant’s head
D Marcos1,2, P Gómez del Campo1,5, S Arganda3, J Montero3, A Belarra1,5, T Alieva4 and M Chevalier1,5
1Unidad de Física Médica, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Plaza de Ramón y Cajal S/N, Spain
2Grupo de Ingeniería Biomédica, Universidad de Valladolid, Spain Complutense University of Madrid, 28040 Madrid, Spain
3Departamento de Biología y Geología, Física y Química Inorgánica, Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, Spain.
4Facultad de Ciencias Físicas, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Avda. Complutense S/N, Spain
5Laboratorio de Micro-CT-UCM, Spain
Dedicated to Prof Jay M Enoch
Micro-computed X ray tomography is a useful tool for the analysis of internal structure of small animals, including insects. Here, we evaluate the conditions which are optimal for the study of ant´s head morphology by using microfocus X-ray laboratory setup. We demonstrate that it is possible to clearly observe the 3D structure of the ant’s head, such as muscles, scalps or antennas, with micrometric resolution. However, fine information about the internal structure (brain), even using staining, is very difficult to obtain using the polychromatic X ray source applied in this study. Segmentation methods allow to extract only global characteristics of the brain: Identifying its volume, brain lobes, oesophagus, pedunculae and subesophageal zone. © Anita Publications. All rights reserved.
Keywords: Electromagnetic radiation, Propagation, Photons, Eye vision mechanism
Peer Review Information
Method: Single- anonymous; Screened for Plagiarism? Yes
Buy this Article in Print © Anita Publications. All rights reserve
- Martín-Vega D, Garbout A, Ahmed F, Wicklein M, Goater C P, Colwell D D, Hall M J R, 3D virtual histology at the host/parasite interface: visualisation of the master manipulator, Dicrocoelium dendriticum, in the brain of its ant host, Sci Reps, 8(2018)8587; doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-26977-2.
- Poinapen D, Konopka J K, Umoh J U, Norley C J D, McNeil J N, Holdsworth D W, Micro-CT imaging of live insects using carbon dioxide gas-induced hypoxia as anesthetic with minimal impact on certain subsequent life history traits, BMC Zool, 2(2017)9; doi.org/10.1186/s40850-017-0018-x.
- Holdsworth D W, Thornton M M, Micro-CT in small animal and specimen imaging, Trends Biotechnol, 20(2002) S34-S39.
- Woods R E, Eddins S L, Gonzalez R C, (Digital Image Processing using Matlab, Upper Saddle River, NJ : Pearson/Prentice Hall), 2004.
- Zhang L, Zhang D, Peng B, A survey of graph theoretical approaches to image segmentation, Pattern Recognit, 46(2013)1020–1038.
- Mirslav Benes B Z, Performance evaluation of image segmentation algorithms on microscopic image data, J Microsc, 257(2015)65–85.
- ImageJ tutorial https://imagej.net/ij/docs/guide/ on-line.