Editor-in-Chief : V.K. Rastogi
|Asian Journal of Physics||Vol 32, Nos 3 & 4 (2023) A11-A24|
An asymmetric hybrid image encryption algorithm using fractional Hartley transform, Bird Wings Map, and embedded watermarking
DJoyti1, Sachin2, Phool Singh3, and Kehar Singh4
1Department of Mathematics, Government College Barota, Gohana, Haryana-131 301, India
2Department of Mathematics, IIHS, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, Haryana-136 119, India
3Department of Mathematics, SOET, Central University of Haryana, Mahendergarh-123 031, India
4Optics and Photonics Center, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, New Delhi-110 016, India
Dedicated to Prof Jay M Enoch
We present an improved security algorithm based on fractional Hartley transform, phase truncation and phase reservation, newly developed ‘Bird Wings Map’(BWM), and watermarking. The BWM enhances security of the proposed algorithm by providing additional parameters to the cryptosystem. The effectiveness of the scheme is validated through simulations conducted on a pair of grayscale images, namely Cameraman and Baboon. The Cameraman is used as the target image, while the Baboon serves as the host image in the watermarking process. The proposed scheme is tested against various statistical attacks, using mean-squared-error, correlation coefficient, information entropy, and peak signal-to-noise ratio. Additionally, the histogram and mesh plots are also provided. Real-time attacks such as noise-, and occlusion attacks are also applied to validate the robustness of the proposed scheme. Furthermore, the strength of the scheme is tested against the well-known attacks, such as known-plaintext-, chosen-plaintext-, and special iterative attack. Key sensitivity analysis is performed to analyze the key-space of the proposed scheme. The simulation results demonstrate the robustness and effectiveness of the scheme which exhibits resilience against the statistical attacks, real-time attacks, and cryptographic attacks. © Anita Publications. All rights reserved.
Keywords: Asymmetric image encryption, Fractional Hartley transform, Phase truncation and phase reservation, Bird Wings Map, Watermarking, Key sensitivity.
Peer Review Information
Method: Single- anonymous; Screened for Plagiarism? Yes
Buy this Article in Print © Anita Publications. All rights reserve
- Hasib A A, Haque, A A Md M, A comparative study of the performance and security issues of AES and RSA crypog -raphy, in 2008 Third Int’l Conference on Convergence and Hybrid Information Technology, Busan, Korea: IEEE, Nov 2008, pp 505–510; doi: 10.1109/ICCIT.2008.179.
- Biryukov A, The boomerang attack on 5 and 6-round reduced AES, in Advanced Encryption Standard – AES, Hutchison D, Kanade T, Kittler J, Kleinberg J M, Mattern F, Mitchell J C, Naor M, Nierstrasz O, Pandu Rangan C, Steffen B, Sudan M, Terzopoulos D. Tygar D, Vardi M Y, Weikum G, Dobbertin H, Rijmen V, Sowa A, (Eds), Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2005, pp 11–15; doi:10.1007/11506447_2.
- Kou W, Data Encryption Standards, in Networking Security and Standards, Kou W, Ed., The Springer International Series in Engineering and Computer Science, Boston, MA: 1997, pp. 49–67. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4615-6153-8_4.
- Rivest R L, Shamir A, Adleman L, A method for obtaining digital signatures and public-key cryptosystems, Commun ACM, 21(1977)120–134.
- Refregier P, Javidi B, Optical image encryption based on input plane and Fourier plane random encoding, Opt Lett, 20(1995)767–769.
- Al Falou A, Brosseau C, Optical image compression and encryption, Adv Opt Photon, 1(2009)589–636.
- Kumar A, Singh M, Singh K, Speckle coding and digital data security applications, in ‘Advances in Speckle Metrology and Related Techniques’, Chap 6, pp 239–299, (ed) Kaufmann G H, (Wiley-VCH Weinheim), 2011.
- Kumar P, Joseph J, Singh K, Double random phase encoding based optical encryption systems using some linear canonical transforms: weaknesses and countermeasures, in ‘ Linear canonical transforms: Theory and applications’ (eds) Healy J J, Kutay M A, Ozaktas M, Sheridan J T, (Springer N Y), 2016, 367–396.
- Chen W, Javidi B, Chen X, Advances in optical security systems, Adv Opt Photon, 6(2014)120–155.
- Al Falou A(Ed), Advanced Secure Optical Image Processing for Communications, (IOP Publ Bristol U K), 2018.
- Nishchal N K, Optical Cryptosystems,(IOP Publ. Bristol U K), 2000.
- Unnikrishnan G, Singh K , Double random fractional Fourier-domain encoding for optical security, Opt Eng, 39(2000)2853–2859.
- Unnikrishnan G, Joseph J, Singh K, Optical encryption by double-random phase encoding in the fractional Fourier domain, Opt Lett, 25(2000)887–889.
- Situ G, Zhang J, Double random-phase encoding in the Fresnel domain, Opt Lett, 29(2004)1584–1586.
- Shi Y, Situ G, Zhang J, Multiple-image hiding in the Fresnel domain, Opt Lett, 32 (2007)1914–1916.
- Maan P, Singh H, Kumari A C, Symmetric cryptosystem to secure images utilizing chaotic deterministic phase mask in Fresnel transform domain employing singular value decomposition, Proc Comput Sci, 167(2020)860–869.
- Rodrigo J A, Alieva T, Calvo M L, Gyrator transform: properties and applications, Opt Express, 15(2007)2190–2203.
- Abuturab M R, Information authentication system using interference of two beams in gyrator transform domain, Appl Opt, 52(2013)5133–5142.
- Singh H, Yadav A K, Vashisth S, Singh K, Fully phase image encryption using random-structured phase masks in gyrator domain, Appl Opt, 53(2014)6472–6481.
- Kumar J, Singh P, Yadav A K, Kumar A, Asymmetric image encryption using gyrator transform with singular value decomposition, in Engineering Vibration, Communication and Information Processing, Ray K, Sharan S N, Rawat S, Jain S K, Srivastava S, Bandyopadhyay A, (eds), (Singapore: Springer), 2019, pp 375–383.
- Chen L F, Zhao D, Optical image encryption with Hartley transform, Opt Lett, 31(2006)3438–3440.
- Zhao D, Li X, Chen L, Optical image encryption with reduced fractional Hartley transform, Opt Commun, 281(2008)5326–5329.
- Singh P, Yadav A K, Singh K, Phase image encryption in the fractional Hartley domain using Arnold transform and singular value decomposition, Opt Lasers Eng, 91(2017)187–195.
- Yadav A K, Singh P, Saini I, Singh K, Asymmetric encryption algorithm for color images based on fractional Hartley transform, J Mod Opt, 66(2019)629–642.
- Kaur G, Agarwal R, Patidar V, Multiple image encryption with fractional Hartley transform and robust chaotic mapping, in 2019 6th Int’ll Confer on ‘Signal Processing and Integrated Networks (SPIN)’, Mar. 2019, pp. 399–403. doi: 10.1109/SPIN.2019.8711777.
- Zhou N R, Wang Y, Gong L, Novel optical image encryption scheme based on fractional Mellin transform, Opt Commun, 284(2011)3234–3242.
- Vashisth S, Singh H, Yadav A K, Singh K, Image encryption using fractional Mellin transform, structured phase filters, and phase retrieval, Optik, 125(2014)5309–5315.
- Singh P, Yadav A K, Singh K, Security-analysis of a nonlinear mask-based cryptosystem in fractional Mellin transform, Asian J Phys, 30(2021)1397–1406.
- Sachin, Singh P, Singh K, Nonlinear image authentication algorithm based on double fractional Mellin domain, Nonlinear Dynamics 2023, doi.org/10.1007/s11071-023-08540-5.
- Kumar R, Sakshi, Singh K, An asymmetric optical cryptosystem based on Radon transform for phase image encryption, Asian J Phys, 31(2022) A1–A12.
- Peng X, Wei H, Zhang P, Chosen-plaintext attack on lensless double-random phase encoding in the Fresnel domain, Opt Lett, 31(2006)3261–3263.
- Barrera J F, Vargas C, Tebaldi M, Torroba M, Chosen-plaintext attack on a joint transform correlator encrypting system, Opt Commun, 283(2010)3917–3921.
- Zhang Y, Xiao D, Wen W, Liu H, Vulnerability to chosen-plaintext attack of a general optical encryption model with the architecture of scrambling-then-double random phase encoding, Opt Lett, 38(2013)4506–4509.
- Peng X, Chang P, We H, Yu B, Known-plaintext attack on optical encryption based on double random phase keys, Opt Lett, 31(2006)1044–1046.
- Gopinathan U, Monaghan D S, Naughton T J, Sheridan J T , A known-plaintext heuristic attack on the Fourier plane encryption algorithm, Opt Express, 14(2006)3181–3186.
- Tashima H, Takeda M, Suzuki H, Obi T, Yamaguchi M, Ohyama N, Known-plaintext attack on double random phase encoding using finger print as key and a method for avoiding the attack, Opt Express, 18(2010)13772–1381.
- Nakano K, Takeda M, Suzuki H, Yamaguchi M, Security analysis of phase-only DRPE based on known-plaintext attack using multiple known plaintext–ciphertext pairs, Appl Opt, 53(2014)6435–6443.
- Carnicer A, Usategui M M, Arcos S, Juvells I, Vulnerability to chosen-ciphertext attacks of the optical encryption schemes based on double random phase keys, Opt Lett, 30(2005)1644–1646.
- Alligood K T, Saeur T D, Yorke J A, Chaos: An Introduction to Dynamical Systems, (Springer N Y), 2001.
- Larger L, Goedgebuer, J P, Delorme F, Optical encryption system using hyperchaos generated by an optoelectronic wavelength oscillator, Phys Rev E, 57(1998)6618–6624.
- Cuenot J B, Larger L, Goedgebuer J P, Rhodes W T , Chaos shift keying with an optoelectronic encryption system using chaos in wavelength, IEEE J Quant Electron, 37(2001)849–855.
- Pareek N K, Patidar V, Sud K K, Image encryption using chaotic logistic map, Image Vis Comput, 24(2006)926–934.
- Lang J, Tao R, Wang Y, Image encryption based on the multiple-parameter discrete fractional Fourier transform and chaos function, Opt Commun, 283(2010)2092–2096.
- Wang X, Zhao J, Liu H, Anew image encryption algorithm based on chaos, Opt Commun, 285(2012)562–566.
- Liu J, Jin H, Ma L, Jin W, Optical color image encryption based on computer generated hologram and chaotic theory, Opt Commun, 307(2013)76–79.
- Abuturab M R, Group-multiple-image encoding and watermarking using coupled logistic maps and gyrator wavelet transform, J Opt Soc Am A, 32(2015)1811–1820.
- Liu X, Mei W, Du H, Simultaneous image compression, fusion and encryption algorithm based on compressive sensing and chaos, Opt Commun, 366(2016)22–32.
- Sachin, Archana, Singh P, Optical image encryption algorithm based on chaotic Tinkerbell map with random phase masks in Fourier domain, in Proceedings of International Conference on Data Science and Applications, Ray K, Roy K C, Toshniwal S K, Sharma H, Bandyopadhyay A, Eds, ( Springer Singapore), 2021, pp. 249–262. doi: 10.1007/978-981-15-7561-7_20.
- Archana, Sachin, Singh P, Cryptosystem based on triple random phase encoding with chaotic Henon map, in Proceedings of International Conference on Data Science and Applications, K. Ray K, K. C. Roy K C , S. K. Toshniwal S K, Sharma H, Bandyopadhyay A, Eds., in Lecture Notes in Networks and Systems, vol. 148, (Singapore: Springer), 2021, pp. 73–84. doi: 10.1007/978-981-15-7561-75.
- Ai-hong Zhu and Lian Li, Improving for chaotic image encryption algorithm based on logistic map, in 2010 The 2nd Conference on Environmental Science and Information Application Technology, Wuhan, China: IEEE, Jul. 2010, pp. 211–214. doi: 10.1109/ESIAT.2010.5568374.
- Sachin, Singh P, A novel chaotic Umbrella map and its application to image encryption, Opt Quant Electron, 54 (2022), Art ID: 266; doi: 10.1007/s11082-022-03646-3.
- Abundiz-Pérez F, Cruz-Hernández C, Murillo-Escobar M A, López-Gutiérrez R M, Arellano-Delgado A, A fingerprint image encryption scheme based on hyperchaotic Rössler map, Math Probl Eng, vol 2016, pp 1–15, 2016; doi. 10.1155/2016/2670494.
- Rakheja P, Vig R, Singh P, Optical asymmetric watermarking using 4D hyperchaotic system and modified equal modulus decomposition in hybrid multi resolution wavelet domain, Optik, 176(2019)425–437.
- Dou Y, Liu X, Fan H, Li M, “Cryptanalysis of a DNA and chaos-based image encryption algorithm, Optik, 145 (2017); doi: 10.1016/j.ijleo.2017.08.050.
- Chen H, Liu Z, Tanougast C, Liu F, Blondel W, A novel chaos based optical cryptosystem for multiple images using DNA-blend and gyrator transform, Opt Lasers Eng, 138(2021) Art ID: 106448; doi: 10.1016/j.optlaseng.2020.106448.
- Ding K, Xu X, Chaotic synchronization of modified discrete-time Tinkerbell systems, Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society, vol 2016, pp 1–7, 2016; doi. 10.1155/2016/5218080.
- Toker D, Sommer F T, D’Esposito M, A simple method for detecting chaos in nature, Commun Biology, 3(2020) 11; doi. 10.1038/s42003-019-0715-9.
- Qin W, Peng X, Asymmetric cryptosystem based on phase-truncated Fourier transforms, Opt Lett, 35(2010)118; doi.: 10.1364/OL.35.000118.
- Xiong Y, Kumar R, Quan C, Security analysis on an optical encryption and authentication scheme based on phase-truncation and phase-retrieval algorithm, IEEE Photon J, 11(2019)1–14.
- Kishk S, Javidi B, Information hiding technique with double phase encoding, Appl Opt, 41(2002)5462–5470.
- Yadav A K, Vashisth S, Singh H, Singh K, A phase-image watermarking scheme in gyrator domain using devil’s vortex Fresnel lens as a phase mask, Opt Commun, 344(2015)172–180.
- Singh P, Yadav A K, Singh K, Saini I, Asymmetric watermarking scheme in fractional Hartley domain using modified equal modulus decomposition, J Optoelectron Adv Mater, 21(2019)484–491.
- Sachin, Kumar R, Singh P, Multiuser optical image authentication platform based on sparse constraint and polar decomposition in Fresnel domain, Phys Scripta, 97(2022) Art ID: 115101; doi. 10.1088/1402-4896/ac925d.
- Rakheja P, Vig R, Singh P, Double image encryption using 3D Lorenz chaotic system, 2D non-separable linear canonical transform and QR decomposition, Opt Quant Electron, 52(2020)103; doi. 10.1007/s11082-020-2219-8.
- Gong L, Liu X, Zheng F, Zhou N X Flexible multiple-image encryption algorithm based on log-polar transform and double random phase encoding technique, J Mod Opt, 60(2013)1074–1082.
- Wang Y, Ren Z, Zhang L, Li D, Li X, 3Dimage hiding using deep demosaicking and computational integral imaging, Opt Lasers Eng, 148(2022) Art ID:106722; doi.org/10.1016/j.optlaseng.2021.106772.
- Wang X, Wei H, Jin M, Xu B, Chen J, Experimental optical encryption based on random mask encoding and deep learning, Opt Express, 30(2022)11165–11173.
- Zhao Q, Li H, Yu Z, Woo C M, Zhong T, Cheng S, Zheng Y, Liu H, Tian J, Lai P, Speckle-based optical cryptosystem and its application for human face recognition via deep learning, Adv Sci, 2022. Art ID: 2202407; doi.org/10.1002/advs.202202407.
- Zhuang X, Yan A, Deep-learning-based ciphertext-only attack on optical cryptosystem, Opt Laser Technol, 157(2023) 108744; doi.org/10.1016/j.optlastec.2022.108744.
- Ahmadi K, Carnicer A, Optical visual encryption using focused beams and convolutional neural networks, Opt Lasers Eng, 161(2023)107321; doi.org/10.1016/j.optlaseng.2022.107321.