Editor-in-Chief : V.K. Rastogi
|Asian Journal of Physics||Vol 31, Nos 11 & 12 (2022) 1027-1034|
Digital refocusing of images recorded with white light using Lucy-Richardson-Rosen algorithm
P A Praveen1, A Bleahu1, F G Arockiaraj1,2, S Gopinath1,3, D Smith4, S H Ng4, A S J F Rajeswary1, Saulius Juodkazis4,5 and Vijayakumar Anand1,4
1Institute of Physics, University of Tartu, W. Ostwaldi 1, 50411 Tartu, Estonia.
2PG & Research Department of Physics, The American College, Madurai- 625 009, India
3PG & Research Department of Physics, Thiagarajar College, Madurai- 625 002, India
4Optical Sciences Center, Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne 3122, Australia
5Tokyo Tech World Research Hub Initiative (WRHI), School of Materials and Chemical Technology, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2-12-1, Ookayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8550, Japan
Dedicated to Professor Partha Banerjee for his enormous contributions to the advancement of research
and education in holography through his unique vision and outstanding dedication
Lens-based imaging is one of the widely used scientific methods to record optical information. As long as the imaging conditions are satisfied, this method can be used to image an object faithfully. However, beyond the limit of the depth of focus of the optical element, the collected image appears blurred. Though shifting the location of the optical element or the sensor offers a solution to the above problem, it is not suitable for recording dynamic events. There are different deconvolution methods available for digital refocusing of blurred images. Recently, a new reconstruction method called Lucy-Richardson-Rosen algorithm (LR2A) was developed for deconvolution based 2D and 3D incoherent imaging applications. In the present work, we have demonstrated LR2A on blurred images recorded using white light for the first time. A simple, commonly available refractive lens along with an incoherent white light source was used to record the point spread functions (PSF) at different depths. Then, the object information in the corresponding planes were also recorded. Finally, the PSF library was used to digitally refocus the object information. The results were compared with standard algorithms such as Lucy-Richardson and nonlinear reconstruction methods. In all the cases, LR2A exhibited a superior performance. © Anita Publications. All rights reserved.
Keywords: Deblurring, Computational imaging, Lucy-Richardson-Rosen Algorithm, Incoherent imaging.
Peer Review Information
Method: Single- anonymous; Screened for Plagiarism? Yes
Buy this Article in Print © Anita Publications. All rights reserve
- Rosen J, Vijayakumar A, Kumar M, Rai M R, Kelner R, Kashter Y, Bulbul A, Mukherjee S, Recent advances in self-interference incoherent digital holography, Adv Opt Photon, 11(2019)1–66.
- Lichtman J W, Conchello J A, Fluorescence microscopy, Nat methods, 2(2005)910–19.
- Kim M K, Adaptive optics by incoherent digital holography, Opt Lett, 37(2012)2694–2696.
- Liu J P, Tahara T, Hayasaki Y, Poon T C, Incoherent digital holography: a review, Appl Sci, 8(2018) Art ID:143; doi.org/10.3390/app8010143.
- Poon T C, Optical scanning holography-a review of recent progress, J Op. Soc (Korea), 13(2009)406–415.
- Rosen J, Simon A, Vijayakumar A, Jonathan A, Bouchal P, Bouchal Z, Munkh-Uchral E, Huang L, Ayumi I, Juodkazis S, Kim N, Kner P, Koujin T, Kozawa Y, Liang D, Liu J, Mann C, Marar A, Matsuda A, Nobukawa T, Nomura T, Oi R, Potcoava M, Tahara T, Thanh B L, Zhou H, Roadmap on recent progress in FINCH technology, J Imaging, 7(2021)197; doi.org/10.3390/jimaging7100197.
- Murty M V R K, Hagerott E C, Rotational shearing interferometry, Appl Opt, 5(1966)615–619.
- Sirat G, Psaltis D, Conoscopic holography, Opt Lett, 10(1985)4–6.
- Rosen J, Brooker G, Digital spatially incoherent Fresnel holography, Opt Lett, 32(2007)912–914.
- Kim M K, Incoherent digital holographic adaptive optics, Appl Opt, 52(2013)A117–A130.
- Kelner R, Rosen J, Brooker G, Enhanced resolution in Fourier incoherent single channel holography (FISCH) with reduced optical path difference, Opt Express, 21(2013)20131–20144.
- Vijayakumar A, Kashter Y, Kelner R, Rosen J, Coded aperture correlation holography–a new type of incoherent digital holograms, Opt Express, 24(2016)12430–12441.
- Ables J G, Fourier transform photography: a new method for X-ray astronomy, Publ Astron Soc Aust, 1(1968)172–173.
- Dicke R H, Scatter-hole cameras for x-rays and gamma rays, Astrophys J, 153(1968)L101-L106.
- Cieślak M J, Gamage K A, Glover R, Coded-aperture imaging systems: Past, present and future development–A review, Radiat Meas, 92(2016)59–71.
- Anand V, Rosen J, Juodkazis S, Review of engineering techniques in chaotic coded aperture imagers, Light: Adv Manuf, 3(2022) Art ID 24; doi.org/10.37188/lam.2022.024.
- Vijayakumar A, Rosen J, Interferenceless coded aperture correlation holography–a new technique for recording incoherent digital holograms without two-wave interference, Opt Express, 25(2017)13883–13896.
- Rai M R, Vijayakumar A, Rosen J, Non-linear adaptive three-dimensional imaging with interferenceless coded aperture correlation holography (I-COACH), Opt Express, 26(2018)18143–18154.
- Horner J L, Gianino P D, Phase-only matched filtering, Appl Opt, 23(1984)812–816.
- Smith D, Gopinath S, Arockiaraj F G, Reddy A N K, Balasubramani V, Kumar R, Dubey N, Ng S.H, Katkus T, Selva S J, Renganathan D, Kamalam M B R, Rajeswary A S J F, Navaneethakrishnan S, Inbanathan S R, Valdma S.-M, Praveen P A, Amudhavel J, Kumar M, Ganeev R A, Magistretti P J, Depeursinge C, Juodkazis S, Rosen J, Anand V, Nonlinear reconstruction of images from patterns generated by deterministic or random optical masks—Concepts and review of research, J Imaging, 8(2022) Art ID 174; doi.org/10.3390/jimaging8060174.
- Anand V, Han M, Maksimovic J, Ng S H, Katkus T, Klein A R, Bambery K R, Tobin M J, Vongsvivut J, Juodkazis S, Single-shot mid-infrared incoherent holography using Lucy Richardson Rosen algorithm, Opto-Electron Sci, 1(2022) Art ID 210006; doi. 10.29026/oes.2022.210006.
- Praveen P A, Gracy Arockiaraj F, Gopinath S, Smith D, Kahro T, Valdma S-M, Bleahu A, Ng S H, Reddy A N K, Katkus T, Rajeswary A S J F, Ganeev R A, Pikker S, Kukli K, Tamm A, Juodkazis S, Vijayakumar A, Deep deconvolution of object information modulated by a refractive lens using Lucy-Richardson-Rosen algorithm, Photonics, 9(2022)625; doi.org/10.3390/photonics9090625.
- Wang Z, Bovik A C, Sheikh H R, Simoncelli E P, Image quality assessment: From error visibility to structural similarity, IEEE Trans Image Process, 13(2004)600–612.
- Beck A, Teboulle M, Fast gradient-based algorithms for constrained total variation image denoising and deblurring problems, IEEE Trans Image Process, 18(2009)2419–2434.
- Biemond J, Lagendijk R L, Merserau R M, Iterative methods for image deblurring, Proc IEEE, 78(1990)856–883.
- Anand V, Ng S H, Katkus T, Juodkazis S, White light three-dimensional imaging using a quasi-random lens, Opt Express, 29(2021)15551–15563