Editor-in-Chief : V.K. Rastogi
|Asian Journal of Physics||Vol 31, No 8 (2022) 847-862|
Hole-drilling method combined with DSPI: challenges and achievements for residual stress measurements
Matias Roberto Viotti, Filipe Zanini Broetto and Armando Albertazzi (Jr)
Laboratório de Metrologia e Automatização (Labmetro),
Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Florianópolis, SC, Brazil.
This article is dedicated to Professor Cesar Sciammarella
The hole drilling technique is extensively applied to measure residual stresses in mechanical components and can be applied both in laboratory and industrial environments. Usually, the hole drilling method is combined with electrical strain gages. Many research group activities have been oriented to replace the measurement with strain gages by optical techniques. These techniques are appropriate for rapid measurements considering they are non-contacting methods, and they are suitable to perform full-field evaluation. One limitation for the hole drilling technique is its depth sensitivity. Typically, the method can only identify stresses up to a depth of approximately the radius of the hole. Consequently, for a conventional hole diameter of 1.6 mm, the hole depth will be between 0.8 mm and 1 mm. This paper shows the achievements of Labmetro during the last decade regarding the application of radial in-plane speckle interferometer to the measurement of residual stresses in real situations involving the oil and gas industry. Additionally, the paper also shows the advancements that have made possible to achieve higher depths. The examples presented in the paper clearly show the suitability of the speckle metrology as a supplementary tool for the assessment of the integrity in structures. © Anita Publications. All rights reserved.
Keywords: Hole-drilling, Speckle interferometry, Radial sensitivity, Residual stresses.
Peer Review Information
Method: Single- anonymous; Screened for Plagiarism? Yes
Buy this Article in Print © Anita Publications. All rights reserve
- Budynas R G, Nisbett J K, Shigley’s Mechanical Engineering Design, 8th edn, (McGraw-Hill Series in Mechanical Engineering), 2006.
- Samuel A, Weir J, Introduction to Engineering Design, (Elsevier Science & Technology Books), 1999.
- Lu J, Handbook of Measurement of Residual Stresses, (The Fairmont Press, Lilburn), 1996.
- Rendler N J, Vigness I, Hole-drilling strain-gage method of measuring residual stresses, Exp Mech, 6(1966)577–586.
- ASTM E837-20, Standard test method for determining residual stresses by the hole-drilling strain-gage method, Annual Book of ASTM Standards. American Society for Testing and Materials, 2020.
- Schajer G S, Measurement of non-uniform residual stresses by the hole-drilling method, J Eng Mater Technol, 110(1988)338–349.
- Schajer G S, Hole-drilling residual stress profiling with automated smoothing, J Eng Mater Technol, 129(2007)440–445.
- Wang H P, The alignment error of the hole-drilling method, Exp Mech, 19(1979)23–27.
- Viotti M R, Kaufmann G H, Accuracy and sensitivity of a hole drilling and digital speckle pattern interferometry combined technique to measure residual stresses, Opt Laser Eng, 41(2004)297–305.
- Furgiuele F M, Pagnotta L, Poggialini A, Measuring residual stresses by the hole drilling and coherent optics techniques: a numerical calibration, J Eng Mater Technol, 113(1991)41–50.
- Moore A J, Tyrer J R, An electronic speckle pattern interferometer for complete in-plane measurements, Meas Sci Technol, 1(1990)1024–1030.
- Albertazzi A (Jr), Borges M R, Kanda C, A radial in-plane interferometer for residual stresses measurement using ESPI, Proc SEM IX International Congress on Experimental Mechanics. Bethel: Society for Experimental Mechanics, (2000)108–111.
- Viotti M R, Albertazzi A(Jr), Kapp W A, Experimental comparison between a portable DSPI device with diffractive optical element and a hole drilling strain gage combined system, Lasers Eng, 46(2008)835–841.
- Viotti M R, Albertazzi A (Jr), Compact sensor combining digital speckle pattern interferometry and the hole-drilling technique to measure nonuniform residual stress fields, Opt Eng, 52 (2013)101905; doi.org/10.1117/1.OE.52.10.101905.
- Schajer G S, Compact Calibration Data for Hole-Drilling Residual Stress Measurements in Finite-Thickness Specimens, Exp Mech, 60(2020)665–678.
- Viotti M R, Kapp W A, Albertazzi A (Jr), Achromatic digital speckle pattern interferometer with constant radial in-plane sensitivity by using a diffractive optical element, App Opt, 48(2009)2275–2281.
- Law M, Prask H, Luzin V, Gnaeupel-Herold T, Residual stress measurements in coil, linepipe and girth welded pipe, Mater Sci Eng A, 437(2006)60–63.
- Wang J, Saraswat R, Mirzaee-Sisan A, Influence of residual stresses on pipeline integrity: A state-of-the-art review. In: Rio Pipeline Conference & Exposition, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, (2013), pp 1–10.
- Zheng J Y, Zhang B J, Liu P F, Wu L L, Failure analysis and safety evaluation of buried pipeline due to deflection of landslide process, Eng Fail Anal, 25(2012)156–168.
- Lothhammer L R, Viotti M R, Veiga C L N, Albertazzi A (Jr), Experimental Evaluation of Residual Stresses in Pipes Manufactured by UOE and ERW Processes, Exp Mech, 57(2017)287–296.
- Lothhammer L R, Viotti M R, Albertazzi A Jr, and Veiga C L N, Residual stress measurements in steel pipes using DSPI and the hole drilling technique, Int J Press Vessel Pip, 152(2017)46–55.
- Pacheco A, Viotti M R, Veiga C L N, Albertazzi A (Jr), Evaluation of Bending Stresses in Pipelines by Using Hole-drilling Measurements Combined with Interferometry, Exp Mech, 56(2016)133–143.
- Schajer G S, Circumferential Rosette Design for Extended Depth Hole-Drilling Residual Stress Measurements, Exp Mech, 60(2020)1265–1274.
- Viotti M R, Albertazzi A (Jr), Bonomo D, Fontana F, Radial in-plane digital speckle pattern interferometer combined with instrumented indentation, Opt Lasers Eng, 71(2015)1–8.
- Montgomery D C, Runger G C, Applied statistics and probability for engineers, 3rd edn, (Wiley, New York), 2003.