Editor-in-Chief : V.K. Rastogi
|Asian Journal of Physics||Vol 31, Nos 3 – 6 (2022) A1-A6|
In-house fabrication and detailed analysis of fiber optic long period grating using electric arc discharge method
Koustav Dey1, Kanchan Ghosh1, Partha Pratim Das1, R Ranjan2 and Sourabh Roy1
1National Institute of Technology, Warangal, TS-506 004, India
2CHT @Erzelli, Nanoscopy, Istituto Italiano Di Tecnologia, Genova, Genova 16152, Italy
Dedicated to Professor Bishnu P Pal for his enormous contributions to the advancement of research and education in science and technology through his unique vision and outstanding dedication
In this paper, we have demonstrated the recent results about the inscription and optimization of long-period grating (LPG) by means of the electric arc discharge (EAD) method. For these purposes, we have employed two different kinds of fibers such as single mode fiber (SMF) and a few modes fiber (FMF). We have optimized the proper combination of arc time and arc power which allows appropriate core and cladding modulation for desired LPG spectral features. These reported results may find potential applications in the field of sensing applications especially in biosensing and chemical sensing where miniaturization along with the higher intrinsic sensitivity is of paramount importance. © Anita Publications. All rights reserved.
Keywords: Long period grating, Fiber optic sensors, Measurement.
Peer Review Information
Method: Single- anonymous; Screened for Plagiarism? Yes
Buy this Article in Print © Anita Publications. All rights reserve
- Srivastava A, Esposito F, Campopiano S, Iadicicco A, Fabrication and characterization of LPG in pure silica fibres, 11028 of Proc SPIE, 110282E-1-7 (2019).
- Rego G, Okhotnikov O, Dianov E, Sulimov V, High temperature stability of LPG produced using an Electric Arc, J Light Technol, 19(2001)1547–1579.
- Rego G, Ivanov O V, Marques P V S, Demonstration of coupling to symmetric and anti-symmetric cladding modes in arc-induced long-period gratings, Opt Express, 14(2006)9594–9599.
- Stăncălie A, Sporea D, Neguţ D, Esposito F, Ranjan R, Campopiano S, Iadicicco A, Long Period Gratings in unconventional fibers for possible use as radiation dosimeter in high-dose applications, Sens Actuator A Phys, 271(2018)223–229.
- Lan F, Wang D N, Long-period fiber grating based on inner microholes in optical fiber, Opt Lett, 47(2022)146–149.
- Wang Y, Review of long period fiber gratings written by CO2 laser, J Appl Phys, 108(2010)81101; doi.org/10.1063/1.3493111.
- Kondo Y, Nouchi K, Mitsuyu T, Watanabe M, Kazansky P G, Hirao K Fabrication of long-period fiber gratings by focused irradiation of infrared femtosecond laser pulses. Opt Lett, 24(1999)646–648.
- Rego G, Arc-induced long period fiber gratings, J Sens, 2016, Art ID 3598634, doi. org/10.1155/2016/3598634.
- Hu H, Du C, Wang Q, Wang X, Zhao Y, High sensitivity internal refractive index sensor based on a photonic crystal fiber long period grating, Instrum Sci Technol, 45(2017)181–189.
- Iadicicco A, Ranjan R, Campopiano, Fabrication and characterization of LPG in hollow core fibers by EAD, IEEE Sens J, 15(2015)3014–3020.
- Bhatia V, Campbell D K, Sherr D, D’Alberto T G, Zabaronick N A, Ten Eyck G A, Murphy K A, Claus R O Temperature-insensitive and strain insensitive long-period grating sensors for smart structures, Opt Eng, 36(1997) 1872–61997.
- Erdogan T, Cladding mode resonances in short and long period fibre grating filters, J Opt Soc Am, A 17(2000) 2113–2113.