Editor-in-Chief : V.K. Rastogi
|Asian Journal of Physics||Vol 30, No 12 (2021) 1647-1652|
Nonlinear optical properties of carbon nanoparticles in sol-gel composites studied by optical and photoacoustic Zscan techniques
I M Kislyakov1, I M Belousova1, S K Evstrop’ev1, T D Murav’eva1, and C S Yelleswarapu2
1S I Vavilov State Optical Institute, Kadetskaya line 5/2, St. Petersburg, 199034, Russia
2Department of Physics, University of Massachusetts Boston, 100 Morrissey Blvd, Boston, MA 02125, USA
The paper is dedicated to Prof D V G L N Rao
The paper presents optical and photoacoustic Z-scan studies of polymer composites containing fullerene and onion-like Astralen nanoparticles in comparison with their liquid suspensions. Effective nonlinear absorption coefficients obtained from the study manifest a change in nonlinear mechanisms resulting from the liquid-to-solid matrix transition, which give grounds to assert promising prospects of these materials as limiters of laser irradiation. © Anita Publications. All rights reserved.
Keywords: Optical limiting, Z-scan, Photoacoustic Z-scan, Fullerene, Astralen, Polymer matrix, Nanocomposite.
Peer Review Information
Method: Single- anonymous; Screened for Plagiarism? Yes
Buy this Article in Print © Anita Publications. All rights reserve
- Couris S, Koudoumas E, Rutht A A, Leach S, Concentration and wavelength dependence of the effective third-order susceptibility and optical limiting of C60 in toluene solution, J Phys B: At Mol Opt Phys, 28(1995)4537–4554.
- Rao S V, Rao D N, Akkara J A, DeCristofano B S, Rao D V G L N, Dispersion studies of nonlinear absorption in C60 using Z-scan, Chem Phys Lett, 297(1998)491–498.
- Chen Y, Bai T, Dong N, Fan F, Zhang S, Zhuang X, Sun J, Zhang B, Zhang X, Wang J, Blau W J, Graphene and its derivatives for laser protection, Prog Mater Sci, 84(2016)118–157.
- Yamashita S, Nonlinear optics in carbon nanotube, graphene, and related 2D materials, APL Photonics, 4(2019) 034301; doi.org/10.1063/1.5051796.
- Kislyakov I M, Arutyunyan N R, Obraztsova E D, Sheiko I S, Povarov S A, Venediktova A V, Yelleswarapu C S, Nonlinear optical studies of SWCNT+ coproporphyrin III hybrid systems. In Advanced Materials Research, (Trans Tech Publications Ltd), 818(2013)132–136.
- Vivien L, Lancon P, Riehl D, Hache F, Anglaret E, Carbon nanotubes for optical limiting. Carbon, 40(2002) 1789–1797.
- Venediktova A V, Vlasov A Y, Obraztsova E D, Videnichev D A, Kislyakov I M, Sokolova E P, Stability and optical limiting properties of a single wall carbon nanotubes dispersion in a binary water-glycerol solvent, Appl Phys Lett, 100(2012)251903; org/10.1063/1.4729790.
- Zidan M D, Allaf A W, Allahham A, Al-Zier A, Investigation of optical nonlinearity of C-60 doped acetylenedicarboxylic acid polymer, Opt Laser Technol, 68(2015)60–66.
- Nikolaeva A L, Vlasov A Y, Kislyakov I M, Elokhovskiy V Y, Zorin I M, Povarov S A, Nano-carbon in a hydrogel matrix for nonlinear optical applications, Opt Mater, 66(2017)338–343.
- Hussain S A, Comparison of graphene and carbon nanotube saturable absorbers for wavelength and pulse duration tunability, Sci Rep, 9(2019)17282; doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-53686-1.
- Shames A I, Katz E A, Panich A M, Mogilyansky D, Mogilko E, Grinblat J, Belousov V P, Belousova I M, Ponomarev A N, Structural and magnetic resonance study of astralen nanoparticles, Diamond Relat Mater, 18(2009)505–510.
- Van Stryland E W, Sheik-Bahae M, Z-Scan,/ Characterization Techniques and Tabulations for Organic Nonlinear Materials, (eds) Kuzyk M G, Dirk C W, (Marcel Dekker Inc.),1998, 655–692.
- Yelleswarapu C S, Kothapalli S-R, Nonlinear photoacoustics for measuring the nonlinear optical absorption coefficient, Opt Express, 18(2010) 9020–9025.
- Yelleswarapu C S, Kothapalli S R, Rao D V, Photoacoustic Z-scan for the measurement of third-order nonlinear absorption coefficient, In Nonlinear Frequency Generation and Conversion: Materials, Devices, and Applications X 2011, (Vol. 7917, p. 79171I), International Society for Optics and Photonics.
- Ganeev R A, Ryasnyansky A I, Redkorechev V I, Fostiropoulos K, Priebed G, Usmanov T, Variations of nonlinear optical characteristics of C60 thin films at 532 nm, Opt Commun, 225(2003)131–139.
- Kislyakov I M, Yelleswarapu C S, Nonlinear scattering studies of carbon black suspensions using photoacoustic Z-scan technique, Appl Phys Lett, 103(2013)151104; doi.org/10.1063/1.4824448