Editor-in-Chief : V.K. Rastogi
|Asian Journal of Physics||Vol 31, No 7 (2022) 715-720|
Thermal nonlinear optical properties of iron oxide nanoparticles
Daniel Arranz1, 2, 3, Oscar Pérez-Benito2, Victor Pérez-Alonso2, Patricia de la Presa1, 3 and Rosa Weigand2
1Instituto de Magnetismo Aplicado Salvador Velayos (UCM-ADIF-CSIC), A6 km. 22.5 Las Rozas (Madrid)
2Dpto. de Óptica, 3Dpto. de Física de Materiales, Facultad de Ciencias Físicas,
Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Avda. Complutense s/n, 28040 Madrid, Spain.
Dedicated to Prof Maria J Yzuel
Iron oxide nanoparticles (IONPs) of magnetite (d = 27 nm) and maghemite (d = 11 nm) have been synthesized using co-precipitation methods. The samples have been characterized by XRD, TEM and SQUID magnetometry. These IONPs are able to release heat under infrared laser radiation, which have interesting biomedical applications. The nonlinear Kerr index n2 of thermal origin was measured using the Z-scan technique with a continuous-wave He-Ne laser. The results show that magnetite water suspensions have a higher value of n2 than the maghemite suspensions. Also a parabolic lens model for the transmittance in the closed-aperture geometry provided better fits to the experimental results, than the standard and the aberrated lens models. © Anita Publications. All rights reserved.
Keywords: Z-scan, Thermal Kerr effect, Iron oxide nanoparticles.
Peer Review Information
Method: Single- anonymous; Screened for Plagiarism? Yes
Buy this Article in Print © Anita Publications. All rights reserve
- Chang D, Lim M, Goos Jeroen A C M, Qiao R, Ng Yun Y, Mansfeld Friederike M, Jackson M, Davis Thomas P,Kavallaris M, Biologically Targeted Magnetic Hyperthermia: Potential and Limitations, Front Pharmacol, (2018); doi.org/10.3389/fphar.2018.00831.
- Lozano-Pedraza C, Plaza-Mayoral E, Espinosa A, Sot B, Serrano A, Salas G, Blanco-Andujar C, Cotin G, Felder-Flesch D, Begin-Colin S, Teran F J, Assessing the parameters modulating optical losses of iron oxide nanoparticles under near infrared irradiation, Nanoscale Adv, 3(2021)6490–6502.
- Busquets M A, Fernández-Pradas, J M, Serra P, Estelrich J, Superparamagnetic Nanoparticles with Efficient Near-Infrared Photothermal Effect at the Second Biological Window, Molecules, 25(2020)5315–5327.
- Sheik-Bahae M, Said A A, Van Stryland E W, High-sensitivity, single-beam n2 measurements, Opt Lett, 14 (1989)955–957.
- Gopal S V, Chitrambalam S, Joe I H, Coherent source interaction, third-order nonlinear synthesized PEG coated magnetite nanoparticles in polyethylene glycol and its application, Opt Laser Tech, 98(2018)84–91.
- Parida M R, Vijayan C, Enhancement of nonlinear optical absorption in Copper decorated α-Fe2O3 nanoparticles, Solid State Physics: AIP Conference Proceedings, 1512(2013)416–417.
- Singh C P, Bindra K S, Bhalerao G M, Oak S M, Investigation of optical limiting in iron oxide nanoparticles, Opt Express, 16(2008)8440–8450.
- Yust B G, Razavi N, Pedraza F, Elliott Z, Tsin A T, and Sardar D K, Enhancement of nonlinear optical properties of BaTiO3 nanoparticles by the addition of silver seeds, Opt Express, 20(2012)26511–26520.
- George N A, Enhancement of nonlinear optical properties of BaTiO3 nanoparticles by the addition of silver seeds: comment, Opt Express, 25(2017)18056–18057.
- De la Presa P, Luengo Y, Multigner M, Costo R, Morales M P, Rivero G, Hernando A, Study of heating efficiency as a function of concentration, size, and applied field in γ-Fe2O3 nanoparticles, J Phys Chem C, 116(2012) 25602–25610.
- Andrés Vergés M, Costo R, Roca A G, Marco J F, Goya G F, Serna C J, Morales M P, Uniform and water stable magnetite nanoparticles with diameters around the monodomain–multidomain limit, J Phys D: Appl Phys, 41(2008)134003–134013.