Editor-in-Chief : V.K. Rastogi
|Asian Journal of Physics||Vol 30, No 12 (2021) 1637-1646|
Wavelength dependent cubic nanoparticles formation on copper surfaces by femtosecond laser irradiation
Md Abu Taher, D Narayana Rao, and Sri Ram G Naraharisetty
School of Physics, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad-500 046, India
The paper is dedicated to Prof D V G L N Rao
The effect of changing the incident laser wavelength on the surface morphology is shown via femtosecond laser direct writing on a copper surface. For the first time in the literature, we demonstrated the formation of the cubic-shaped nanoparticles (NPs) on the laser-irradiated copper surface at the incident wavelength of 860 nm. We observed the formation of laser-induced periodic surface structures (LIPSS) are favorable over a broad range of laser fluences at 900 nm irradiation wavelength. We presented the variation of low spatial frequency LIPSS (LSFL) periodicity with the change of the fluence. We did not observe clear LIPSS formation at 960 nm irradiation on the copper surface out of the four wavelengths used. The energy dispersive X-ray (EDX) spectroscopic analysis on the cubic nanostructures reveals the presence of oxygen on the copper surface. The specific copper oxygen composite formation can be achieved at 860nm. © Anita Publications. All rights reserved.
Keywords: Laser-induced periodic surface structures (LIPSS), Low spatial frequency LIPSS, Copper nanoparticles, Cubic-shaped nanoparticles, Laser direct Writing.
Peer Review Information
Method: Single- anonymous; Screened for Plagiarism? Yes
Buy this Article in Print © Anita Publications. All rights reserve
- Chan G H, Zhao J, Hicks E M, Schatz G C, Duyne R P, Plasmonic properties of copper nanoparticles fabricated by nanosphere lithography, Nano Lett, 7(2007)1947–1952.
- Radi A, Pradhan D, Sohn Y, Leung K T, Nanoscale Shape and Size Control of, ACS Nano, 4(2010)1553–1560.
- Gawande M B, Goswami A, Felpin F X, Asefa T, Huang X, Silva R, Zou X, Zboril R, Varma R S, Cu and Cu-Based Nanoparticles: Synthesis and Applications in Catalysis, Chem Rev, 116(2016)3722–3811.
- Lohrasbi S, Sheikholeslami M, Ganji D D, Multi-objective RSM optimization of fin assisted latent heat thermal energy storage system based on solidification process of phase change Material in presence of copper nanoparticles, Appl Therm Eng, 118(2017)430–447.
- Tamilvanan A, Balamurugan K, Ponappa K, Kumar B M, Copper nanoparticles: Synthetic strategies, properties and multifunctional application, Int J Nanosci, 13(2014); doi.org/10.1142/S0219581X14300016.
- Shin D, Banerjee D, Enhancement of specific heat capacity of high-temperature silica-nanofluids synthesized in alkali chloride salt eutectics for solar thermal-energy storage applications, Int J Heat Mass Transf, 54(2011) 1064–1070.
- Deka P, Borah B J, Saikia H, Bharali P, Cu-Based Nanoparticles as Emerging Environmental Catalysts, Chem Rec, 19(2019)462–473.
- Saran S, Manjari G, Devipriya S P, Synergistic eminently active catalytic and recyclable Ag, Cu and Ag-Cu alloy nanoparticles supported on TiO2 for sustainable and cleaner environmental applications: A phytogenic mediated synthesis, J Clean Prod, 177(2018)134–143.
- Tang S C N, Lo I M C, Magnetic nanoparticles: Essential factors for sustainable environmental applications, Water Res, 47(2013)2613–2632.
- Abdelbasir S M, McCourt K M, Lee C M, Vanegas D C, Waste-Derived Nanoparticles: Synthesis Approaches, Environmental Applications, and Sustainability Considerations, Front Chem, 8(2020)782; doi.org/10.3389/fchem.2020.00782.
- Din M I, Rehan R, Synthesis, Characterization, and Applications of Copper Nanoparticles, Anal Lett, 50(2017) 50–62.
- Tauran Y, Brioude A, Coleman A W, Rhimi M, Kim B, Molecular recognition by gold, silver and copper nanoparticles, World J Biol Chem, 4(2013)35; doi.org/10.4331/wjbc.v4.i3.35.
- Muniz-Miranda M, Gellini C, Giorgetti E, Surface-enhanced Raman scattering from copper nanoparticles obtained by laser ablation, J Phys Chem C, 115(2011)5021–5027.
- Baruah P K, Singh A, Rangan L, Sharma A K, Khare A, Optimization of copper nanoparticles synthesized by pulsed laser ablation in distilled water as a viable SERS substrate for karanjin, Chem. Phys, 220(2018)111–117.
- Zhang X, Xu S, Jiang S, Wang J, Wei J, Xu S, Gao S, Liu H, Qiu H, Li Z, Liu H, Li Z, Li H, Growth graphene on silver-copper nanoparticles by chemical vapor deposition for high-performance surface-enhanced Raman scattering, Appl Surf Sci, 353(2015)63–70.
- Fang H, Wen M, Chen H, Wu Q, Li W, Graphene stabilized ultra-small CuNi nanocomposite with high activity and recyclability toward catalysing the reduction of aromatic nitro-compounds, Nanoscale, 8(2016)536–542.
- Wang Y, Duan X, Xie Y, Sun H, Wang S, Nanocarbon-Based Catalytic Ozonation for Aqueous Oxidation: Engineering Defects for Active Sites and Tunable Reaction Pathways, ACS Catal, 10(2020)13383–13414.
- Swarnkar R K, Singh S C, Gopal R, Effect of aging on copper nanoparticles synthesized by pulsed laser ablation in water: Structural and optical characterizations, Bull Mater Sci, 34(2011)1363–1369.
- Hudson R, Feng Y, Varma R S, Moores A, Bare magnetic nanoparticles: Sustainable synthesis and applications in catalytic organic transformations, Green Chem, 16(2014)4493–4505.
- Karimi B, Mansouri F, Mirzaei H M, Recent Applications of Magnetically Recoverable Nanocatalysts in C-C and C-X Coupling Reactions, ChemCatChem, 7(2015)1736–1789.
- Liu P, Wang H, Li X, Rui M, Zeng H, Localized surface plasmon resonance of Cu nanoparticles by laser ablation in liquid media, RSC Adv, 5(2015)79738–79745.
- Wei C, Liu Q, Shape-, size-, and density-tunable synthesis and optical properties of copper nanoparticles, CrystEngComm, 19(2017)3254–3262.
- Sadrolhosseini A R, Noor A S B M, Shameli K, Mamdoohi G, Moksin M M, Mahdi M A, Laser ablation synthesis and optical properties of copper nanoparticles, J Mater Res, 28(2013)2629–2636.
- Haq I U, Akhtar K, Malook K, Synthesis and characterization of monodispersed copper oxide and their precursor powder, Mater Res Bull, 57(2014)121–126.
- Zizzo J, Toxicity effects of Cubic Cu2O nanoparticles on defecation rate and length in C Elegans, Biomed Res Ther, 7(2020)4045–4051.
- Tan M I S M H, Omar A F, Rashid M, U. Hashim U, VIS-NIR spectral and particles distribution of Au, Ag, Cu, Al and Ni nanoparticles synthesized in distilled water using laser ablation, Results Phys, 14(2019)102497; doi.org/10.1016/j.rinp.2019.102497.
- Ngo C V, Chun D M, Control of laser-ablated aluminum surface wettability to superhydrophobic or superhydrophilic through simple heat treatment or water boiling post-processing, Appl Surf Sci, 435(2018)974–982.
- Martínez-Calderon M, Rodríguez A, Dias-Ponte A, Morant-Miñana M C, Gómez-Aranzadi M, Olaizola S M, Femtosecond laser fabrication of highly hydrophobic stainless steel surface with hierarchical structures fabricated by combining ordered microstructures and LIPSS, Appl Surf Sci, 374(2016)81–89.
- Taher M A, Prasad H, Krishnan P K N, Desai N R, Naraharisetty S R G, Ellipsoidal droplet formation on anisotropic superhydrophobic copper surface, Surf Topogr Metrol Prop, 7(2019); doi.org/10.1088/2051-672X/ab2d80.
- Taher M A, Prasad H, Krishnan P K N, Desai N R, Naraharisetty S R G, The validity of triple contact line theory from hydrophilic to superhydrophobic surfaces, J Phys D Appl Phys, 55(2022)055305; doi.org/10.1088/1361-6463/ac30b8.
- Müller F A, Kunz C, Gräf S, Bio-inspired functional surfaces based on laser-induced periodic surface structures, Materials (Basel), 9(2016); doi.org/10.3390/ma9060476.
- Taher M A, Ponnan S, Prasad H, Rao D N, Naraharisetty S R G, Broadband absorption of nanostructured stainless steel surface fabricated by nanosecond laser irradiation, Nanotechnology. 31(2020)175301; doi.org/10.1088/1361-6528/ab674e.
- Taher M A, Naraharisetty S R G, Rao D N, Super black stainless steel surface fabricated by nanosecond laser irradiation, Opt InfoBase Conf Paper. Part F181- (2020); doi.org/10.1364/CLEO_AT.2020.JW2B.21.
- Zhang X, Shi F, Niu J, Jiang Y, Wang Z, Superhydrophobic surfaces: From structural control to functional application, J Mater Chem, 18(2008)621–633.
- Roy N K, Dibua O G, Jou W, He F, Jeong J, Wang Y, Cullinan M A, A comprehensive study of the sintering of copper nanoparticles using femtosecond, nanosecond, and continuous wave lasers, Micro Nano-Manufacturing. 6(2018)1–21.
- Sadrolhosseini A R, Rashid S A, Zakaria A, Shameli K, Green fabrication of copper nanoparticles dispersed in walnut oil using laser ablation technique, J Nanomater, 2016(2016); doi.org/10.1155/2016/8069685.
- Harishchandra B D, Pappuswamy M, PU A, Shama G, Pragatheesh A, Arumugam V A, Periyaswamy T, Sundaram R, Copper Nanoparticles: A Review on Synthesis, Characterization and Applications, Asian Pacific J Cancer Biol, 5(2020)201– 210.
- Khodashenas B, Ghorbani H R, Synthesis of copper nanoparticles: An overview of the various methods, Korean J Chem Eng. 31(2014)1105–1109.
- Goncharova D A, Kharlamova T S, Lapin I N, Svetlichnyi V A, Chemical and Morphological Evolution of Copper Nanoparticles Obtained by Pulsed Laser Ablation in Liquid, J Phys Chem C. 123(2019)21731–21742.
- Bonse J, Gräf S, Maxwell Meets Marangoni—A Review of Theories on Laser-Induced Periodic Surface Structures, Laser Photonics Rev, 14(2020)1–25.
- Taher M A, Chaudhary N, Thirunaukkarasu K, Rajput V K, Naraharisetty S R G, Controlled periodicities of ladder-like structures via femtosecond laser of wavelength from 400 nm to 2200 nm, Surf Interfaces, 28(2022)101622; doi.org/10.1016/j.surfin.2021.101622.