Editor-in-Chief : V.K. Rastogi
|Asian Journal of Physics||Vol. 30 Nos 10 & 11 (2021) 1475-1482|
Defect detection in honeycomb sandwich structures using time-average digital holography
Binu P Thomas, S Annamalai Pillai and C S Narayanamurthy
Honeycomb sandwich bonded constructions are extensively being used owing to their high bending stiffness and high specific strength in aerospace industries. However, the main problem lies in reduction of stiffness due to debond and delamination in such structures which may result in failure. Though, vibration-induced damage identification and health monitoring methods are widely used to ascertain proper bonding of face sheets to the honeycomb core, for accurate defect detection of such complex structures, noncontact, whole field, highly sensitive, fast and easy to use techniques are required. In this paper, we report a non-contact optical interferometry-based time-average digital holographic technique for accurate defect detection in honeycomb sandwich structures. © Anita Publications. All rights reserved.
Keywords: Time-average digital holography, Honeycomb structures, Optical interferometry.
Peer Review Information
Method: Single- anonymous; Screened for Plagiarism? Yes
Buy this Article in Print © Anita Publications. All rights reserved
- Fritzen C P, Vibration-based structural health monitoring – concepts and applications, Key Eng Mater, 293(2005) 3-20.
- Zou Y, Tong I, Steven G P, Vibration-based model-dependent damage (delamination) identification and health monitoring for composite structures – A review, J Sound Vib, 230(2000)357-378.
- Montalvão D, Maia N M M, Ribeiro A M R, A review of vibration-based structural health monitoring with special emphasis on composite materials, Shock Vib Dig, 38(2006)295-324.
- Yan J-X, Liu C-x, Liu Y-z, Zhao L-l, A review on advances of damage identification methods based on vibration, Key Eng Mater, 413-414(2009)277-283.
- Shahdin A, Morlier J, Gourinat Y, Damage monitoring in sandwich beams by modal parameter shifts: A comparative study of burst random and sine dwell vibration testing, J Sound Vib, 329(2010)566-584.
- Gandomi H, Sahab M G, Rahaei A and Safari Gorji M, Development in mode shape-based structural fault identification technique, World Appl Sci J, 5(2008)29-38.
- Powell R L, Stetson K A, Interferometric vibration analysis by wavefront reconstruction, J Opt Soc Am, 55(1965) 1593-1598.
- Stetson K A, Powell R L, Interferometric hologram evaluation and real time vibration analysis of diffuse object, J Opt Soc Am, 55(1966)1694-1695.
- Fryer P A, Vibration analysis by holography, Rep Prog Phys, 33(1970)489-531.
- Pryputniewicz R J, Time average holography in vibration analysis, Opt Eng, 24(1985)843-848.
- West C M, Holographic interferometry, (John Wiley & Sons, NY), 1979
- Picart P, Leval J, Mounier D, Gaugeon S, Time averaged digital holography, Opt Lett, 28 (2003)1900-1902.
- Borza D N, Mechanical vibration measurement by high-resolution time-averaged digital holography, Meas Sci Technol, 16(2005)1853-1864.
- Erf R K, Aas H G, Waters, Bond inspection by dynamic time-average interferometric holography of ultrasonically excited plates, J Acoust Soc Am, 47(1970) 968-969.
- Thomas B P, Pillai S A, Narayanamurthy C S, Investigation on vibration excitation of debonded sandwich structures using time-average digital holography, Appl Opt, 56(2017)F7-F13.
- FEASTSMT, Structural Analysis software of Indian Space Research Organization based on Finite Element Method (feast.vssc.gov.in)